any Vista users?

jgruschow

Guest Aussieman

Jack,

I am running Vista with SP1 and FSInn and Copilot both work fine for me in FSX ...... always had problems with FSInn in FS9. Even when I was using Windows XP.

Cheers

Pat

I am running 32 bit vista.

I had to uninstall fsinn and fscopilot. One of them, I think it was copilot, was causing me major headaches with one of my payware addons. somehow it was causing problems with simconnect. I can't remember the exact issue at the moment, if I do I will re-post, I think it was breaking using my laptop for Active Sky, etc.

Steven.

My advice Jack unless you have EVERY device driver you need and it is certified then DON'T, Pat has been either carefull or Lucky and not had any issues but many have and the vast majority are not Vista error's per sa but rather driver in nature.

Your Call.

Guest Aussieman

Pat has been either carefull or Lucky and not had any issues but many have and the vast majority are not Vista error's per sa but rather driver in nature.

Your Call.

Mozz, I wouldn't say I am careful or lucky. I installed Vista and let it run without tweaking or anything like that. No overclocking my system either. Not expert to do these things. And I think that those who complain about Vista are in the same boat, not expert enough to do this stuff but try it and stuff up.

Me? I don't f*** with something I know very little about  ;D.

Cheers

Pat

My advice Jack unless you have EVERY device driver you need and it is certified then DON'T, Pat has been either carefull or Lucky and not had any issues but many have and the vast majority are not Vista error's per sa but rather driver in nature.

Your Call.

It isn't as bad as it used to be but yes, as Maurice said, you should make sure that anything you can't live without has a Vista driver. I have a Canon digital camera and a HP Colour Laser printer and both items will not work under vista without hacking and the manufacturers recommendation is to 'upgrade' Seeing they are less than three years old and new condition I didn't want to do that.

Also, out of my three vista machines the two that only have 2GB of ram, <3ghz CPUs and mid range graphics cards had very noticeable drop in performance after about three months. This is typical of any new machine but with the two lower end machines it was unbearable. Disabling Aero helped a lot for those but XP was still more responsive.

Note that as far as FSX goes my FSX machine really didn't get any better or worse performance when moving to Vista from XP.

Steven.

Mozz is right. The majority of vista SP1 problems are driver related. I followed mango's advice and installed 174.70 nvidia drivers and it fixed my problem with no vsync and it is now running very well. I was also running unlimited framerate but have had to limit frames to 30fps now to avoid intermittant stuttering. The 169xxx drivers loose vsync with SP1 which makes fsx frames very jerky especially in the outside view. It may pay to wait a little while jack until the driver issues get resolved.

Guest Aussieman

If ALL drivers are to blame for Vista problems as Mozz and all the other 'experts' trumpet, then answer this question for me.

I have a Canon Pixma IP3000 inkjet printer and a Canon Canoscan D660U scanner. The scanner I have had for nearly 7 years and the printer for at least 3. Neither have Vista dedicated drivers but both work for me. I also have a couple of other items that work and they don't have Vista drivers.

How??

Now the cat is among the pigeons I will sit back and watch how people try to explain this  ;D ;D

Cheers

Pat

Hmm. One person doesn't understand how this works so none us us do?  Somehow I don't think you really want to learn about the different printer rendering technologies, how twain drivers work and the changes in driver models between windows versions.

Anyway, jgruschow . A quick search of the internet will find plenty of info about the problems with Vista's new driver model and the problems people have with the new security mechanisms. Security is just configuration and a little training but if there is hardware you can't live without and you can't find or make sense of the info on the net then reply with a list of make and model numbers and we should be able to give you an idea.

As I already said it isn't as bad as it used to be, at least for 32 bit vista. Because 64bit vista runs 32bit code in emulation there are a lot more problems reported on the net by 64 bit users, go to any store and look at all the laptops, nearly (if not all) run 32 bit vista instead of 64 bit vista even though they are all 64 bit machines. that should tell you something...

If all you have is some joysticks and a common USB or Parallel port printer there shouldn't be any problems. If you have a laser printer then give us the model number. Cheap lasers that use the OS driver for rendering (sometimes called Host mode printers) instead of the lasers own inbuilt processor can be a problem. The manufactures site should have info about it though, it's not like vista is new anymore.

Steven.

Looks like I may wait for SP2. I read a review of vista with sp1 which was quite favourable. I don't think drivers would be much of a problem for me though. My printer is a colour Laser. fairly new. Scanner might be a problem.

I was more concerned about fsinn and copilot. If they won't run I don't want vista

Scanners aren't normally a problem because they pretty much all use the TWAIN interface which has been around since Jesus was a boy.

SP1 doesn't do much for us home users (at work we still develop on Windows 2000 :-)). Especially those of us running vistas auto-update because many of the SP1 fixes have been trickle fed to us for awhile now. At least according to MS. Copying large amount of data from my server at home to my primary machine is a bit quicker (it used to absolutely terrible) but that is the only change I can notice.

Really, if you are happy with how your current system is running there is no _need_ to go to vista.

Anyway. Enough message boards, time to fly! :-)

Steven.

Archived