Thank you for doing KELM!

I opened FTXCentral today for the first time in a couple of months, and noticed that there had been an update to the NA Freeware Airport Pack, so I downloaded it. I did not notice that one of the new airports was my home airport, Elmira-Corning Regional KELM.

The default airport in FSX, (and by extension P3D) was quite outdated. Since the 2006 release of FSX, the main runway 06/24 has been extended 1000 feet, several new hangars were constructed, and most signicantly, there was a major relocation of several taxiways, completed just last summer. 

When I spawned on the KELM terminal ramp today (after running FTX Central), it was immediately apparent that something was very different! All the airport buildings now look very close to their actual appearance, including the new hangars that were not present at all in the default airport scenery. The icing on the cake was the realization that the recent major taxiway realignment is accurately depicted. Thanks for doing this - I would have gladly paid for this update!

There is one very minor thing that was missed: Previously, there was no taxiway leading to the threshold of the secondary runway 10. Aircraft wishing to depart from 10 would have enter the runway from taxiway “A”, back-taxi to the end and do a 180.

As part of last year’s taxiway renovation, a new short taxiway segment “E” was constructed giving direct access to the runway 10 threshold from taxiway “A” as shown in the FAA diagram. That new short segment does not seem to be present in the new update.

00131ad.pdf#nameddest=(ELM)

Other than that, the update is perfect. Much appreciated!

Jim Barrett

Archived