Tried the Curtiss Jenny & FW.44 Stieglitz

alexf

I was looking for a decent FSX biplane, and downloaded the freeware Curtiss Jenny and the Fw.44 Stieglitz (found at Avsim and Flightsim).

I tested them at Aeropelican (YPEC). Did not like the textures and the flight model. The Jenny was unstable. I expected underpowered (and it was) but it was unstable in flight at times, with nary a wind. The textures were very clean and basic. I liked the VC and found it met my expectations.

Posted Image

Curtiss Jenny

The Fw.44 Stieglitz is a better model. It flies very nicely although it seems overpowered to my untrained eyes. I am not a RL pilot and have flown in an open cockpit biplane in RL only once (a Waco). The Fw.44 seems to have way too much power from my limited experience. It has a very decent 2D cockpit but the VC is very poorly done. The gauges are fuzzy and the view of the front seat (you fly rear seat) did not work well with FSX textures as the prop/window was not transparent enough. The plane looks nice and there are several extra liveries to be found.

Posted Image

Fw.44 Stieglitz

In short, neither one met my full expectations. VC quality and flight model are important to me, more so than exterior textures, so they were both removed.

I will have to take a look at the payware Golden Age Simulations Boeing Model 75 Stearman  FSX package next.

Hi Alexf,

http://www.freewebs.com/wreckerman/WEBPROTECT-generalaviation.htm 

Waco UPF-7 at the Nor Cal Prop club . Free, and probably just as good as any Golden age

I dont think that there is an excellent , top quality bi-plane out there. The Gladiator is the best but that has a poor flying

model i.e. the flaps dont work ( there is a fix) but its hardly slow being a fighter. and the engine is not exactly peaceful !!

I have a jenny and it seems ok to me .Over in OZx there is a paint job done by Dale ( aka Archie) which is beautiful . At the

moment I do not have a link to a jenny . Im sure its Avsim or Flightsim etc..look for a fsx version That post I made here in the screenshot section -  "Spang" - has a link to a Jenny and that other low and slow model shown.

Posted Image

Posted Image

;D

Golden Age Has a great New Standard D-25 for FSX on the free page.  Also,  the De Havilland DH82a  Tiger Moth Package - by Warwick Carter . Available at simviation, another great freebie. Made for 2004, but I use it with FSX Acceleration, with no problems.

Sue

Here's that FSX  Jenny-

http://simhangar.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=34

Archived