Struggling with VOR indicator tutorials :-(

andrew22222

Thought there may be some keen flyers here with VOR indicator experience.

Somethings not quite sinking in with the methods used in tutorials.

I've put in the radial setting before takeoff into NAV 1 and then when I'm up there adjust the OBS knob to get the direction of the station, plus the correct TO or FROM.

I can't seem to get my head around whether I just steer left or right depending on what the CDI shows to keep to that heading, or at some point I also have to re adjust the direction using the OBS knob again as I did the first time? Or is that just done the once and then completely left alone until the station is passed and I have to input the new stations heading?

Obviously it's all alot easier using the GPS but I want to master the traditional method required for real lessons.

I'm following the tutorials here for navigation.

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/

Thanks and look forward to any advice.

Andrew

Guest J van E

I can't seem to get my head around whether I just steer left or right depending on what the CDI shows to keep to that heading, or at some point I also have to re adjust the direction using the OBS knob again as I did the first time? Or is that just done the once and then completely left alone until the station is passed and I have to input the new stations heading?

You have to fly towards the needle.

Example:

Posted Image

You are off to the right and have to turn the aircraft towards the needle, in this case to the left. Simple as that. When the needle is dead centre again, you are on course, on the right radial. Once you've set it all up (and right too...!), you don't have to change settings until you have to navigate to the next VOR.

Thanks Skylane. That does look interesting.

I also called the local flight school asking about recommended books and then went to the book store and got Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots: Real World Training and also one called From The ground Up. Both are excellent and will keep me busy for months to come! I love saturdays  ;D

Andrew

I have subscribed to "Computer Pilot" for years. Over a period of time there probably have been tutorials on almost everything to do with flying. Bought a lot of CD software from them too. ( Caulfield, Vic) Used to be fully owned by an OZ outfit but is now in partnership with a US company. Computer Pilot has tought me a lot about flying.

Archived