Light bloom setting

ojdee

Random question...

Does anyone actually run FSX with the light bloom graphic setting turned on? I tried it the other night and it quartered my framerate on a 8800 GTS (admittedly not the best GPU) Are the 8800 GTX's able to cope with this?

Guest GaryVH-GJB

Random answer......

In Koorby's original tweak for FSX he states that it should be unchecked in the settings as it does hit on frame rates. I myself don't have it on and I run a 8600 GTS video card. I guess its a personal thang lol I don't see much if any difference in the look of my sim with it on or off.  :)

Gary VH-GJB

Guest J van E

You might give this bloom-tweak a try:

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=1766.0;topicseen

Haven't had time to test it myself yet, unfortunately. Up to now I run with bloom off, using a 8800GTX, because it indeed ruins the fps. Even if the tweak in the above topic might help, it will still cost too much fps, I think. DX10 can run bloom without any loss in fps, but DX10 sucks for the most part, so... that's no option. Although differences are subtle most of the times, bloom is nice...

I ram bloom yesterday coming into Sydney at dusk and I gotta say, it is definately a differant experience. My frame rates dropped to about 30 so I did take a hit however, 30POS with all the other stuff running is tolerable to a certain degree. I'll also give the bloom tweek a run and see what happens

Guest J van E

Well what are the experiences with the bloom tweak??

At last I had the time to test this bloom tweak on my system with an E6600, 8800GTX, 2 Gb RAM and Vista 32 Home.

Test 1 (FEX Up in the clouds test)

Without bloom: 43

With default bloom: 39

With tweaked bloom: 36

Test 2 (my own test flight above dense city)

Without bloom: 27,6

With default bloom: 15,6

With tweaked bloom: 14,6

Well, that's clear than. ;) Bye bye bloom.

And btw when you simply fly around, I can really notice no difference with bloom on. So to me it's not worth it at all!

when my uncle got a new super duper computer, i was invited to his farm to install FSX for him. I was playing around with the settings, and i worked out that what light boom does is in relation to when your looking at the clouds with the sun behind it, but it kills FPS like nothing else.

Archived