East to West - Leg 8 Charleville to Quilpe

John York

I've missed a couple of good OZx Airports, Barcaldine and Longreach doing this leg but being some 250 km North of where I need to be, they would have taken me well off the straightest route so I've made a note and can come back to them later.

A change of aircraft.  It's surprising how fast the DC Canada can be and I do quite like it but have only flown the sea-plane version before.  I like the idea of the GPS in case I get lost in this vast area of,  err...well wilderness really.

It's surprising how nice the little towns appear to be;

Good to see they're on the job!

Posted Image

Got to find the road now

Posted Image

The only bit of cloud in the sky.  Makes me wonder why I waited all that time for REX to install!

Posted Image

Good.  Got the road and taken the right, well left turn which is really a straight on! ;D

Posted Image

Right.  There's Quilpie airstrip straight ahead.

Posted Image

The next leg takes me up to Windorah.  What has surprised me on  this journey is the surprising sparsity of Orbx and OZx airports.  With the number done between them, just out of the law of averages I would have thought I'd have hit a few!  It's certainly teaching me what a truly massive place Australia is.

John

Thank you ImageShack

Excellent shot's JohnY - by sheer coincidence I flew the same leg yesterday, then on to Winton, but in a Martin Baker 5 (which is a hot machine but flies comfortably sub 100 as well)- track crawling for navigation which can be a good way to arrive spot on the destination when there's no GPS.  ;)

Thanks for your comments guys.

You'd think Bill in the huge place Australia is we'd be able to find a place to fly where we don't bump into one another! ;D

Heyhey.  Its a de Havilland  DHC2 Canada - Part of the Beaver collection.

Aviator.  These are FSX airstrips and runways.  Where there are OZx or Orbx strips, you're right, they do, but I imagine it just ain't worthwhile for them to produce flattens for airports they're not actually developing.  I did mention in the blurb I had missed a couple of good OZx places where the sharp edges of the surrounds would have been disguised.

John

Archived