Velocirapror again!

LBPN

I was thinking to buy a velociraptor 300Gb. I'm thinking to create 2 partitions on it. 100Gb for OS and the rest for FSX. My question is: Should I leave only FSX on this drive or it's ok having 2 partitions, one with os and the other one with fsx?

I would buy 2 and use them both in a RAID 0 setup.  This will increase performance and the load times for fsx.  Best upgrade I've done, and it made very noticeable difference in fsx.

I could not agree anymore, get 2x150 RAID 0.

Having ran a raid stripe with dual 150GB raptors for a number of years, I've gone back to a simple 300GB velociraptor:

Performance with random I/O was very similar to the raid array and frankly other than ssd's it appears to be good enough.

You don't have the hastle of Raid. an accidental bump is all it takes on a sata cable and you could be rebuilding the lot! (it's a stripe there is no redundancy)

1 300GB is cheaper than 2 150GB drives.

also some motherboards will cause stutter when in raid mode (not all raid controllers are equal)

never partition a raid volume your just asking for volume seeks and poorer performance.

put the os and other programms in there own disc and put fsx on the velociraptor(s)

Course this is just my opinion, I guess it depends on where you've come from. The first time I did raid I was blown away what a difference.

Just remember it has it's issues as well.

Want to really complicate things try restoring your system from backup when its a raid volume thats partitioned..

just make sure your backup manager and install media understands Raid!

good luck..

Maurice.

Archived