Lilydale AI ?????

Tailgunner

John, I've sat outside the clubhouse for ages, upping the simulation rate notch by notch to 'fastest': only difference is that the birds at the end of the field fly at warp speed. No AI in sight, even when I wallop the GA traffic rate up to 100%.  D'you think Martin's AI remembered their maps?

Taikgunner,

That is probably due to the fact that the default FSX AI Traffic *may* not have entries at Lilydale.  I have FSXGA installed on my system, and even at 20% GA traffic, I see Piper cubs doing touch-n-goes, and occasional caravans, c17s's landing... very cool!!

With the FSX SDK, I plan to create my own custom GA traffic at Lilydale, to make this beautiful airfield even busier, and probably maintain two light aircraft doing circuits and I could join them  :)  Let me know if u'r interested, and if i complete it and tested it, will share you the BGL file :)

Cheers :)

Santiago

Lee Swordy's program for FS9 handled A1 and Afcad in a very straight forward way. Because of the way FS9 files were set up, by following Swordy's very well explained procedure, (without having to be a pc guru) you could literally recreate a dead lifeless airport into one alive with as much A1 as you cared to have- along with parking spaces and time schedules. You could watch as the aircraft moved out at the set time, go to destination airports, maybe wait for a period of time, return to the starting airport and do circuits, then land and park in the original parking space assigned. You could set each aircraft's speed independently to comfortably fly along in formation. Another twist was to fly ahead to an airport and wait  for your scheduled A1 to show up, creating somewhat the "feel" of multiplayer FS. For me this added a whole new and exciting dimension to the flight sim experience.  Since FSX, unfortunately, I understand this cannot be done in the same way as Lee Swordy's original FS9 program, which was quite intuitive. I haven't been able to locate info to find out if this program has been updated for FSX...You mentioned FSX "SDK". Where can this be found and how can it be used to create the same scenario?  Anyone know of online instructions for doing this??  There seemed to be a bit of controversy at the time between Microsoft and the legality of Swordy's FS9 program to be able to manipulate the sim files in such a way. For the life of me I cannot understand why, since Swordy's great contribution was 100% free... (any more than the user who makes tweaks to improve the sim's performance and enjoyment).  Of course, the FSX foundation code has changed, but I'm sure the procedure for creating A1 (files ,compiling, etc.,) must basically be the same. There was also a thread stating there couldn't be A1 without Afcad included...I'm not clear about this, (maybe someone can elaborate and explain to the rest of us)---surely gotta be a way to get A1 life into those beautiful hidaway grass rwy airports!! ::);)

The simplest way to do this now is to use the mission system. If you fly the AU-BLUE mission you see that I spawn off the goose and the guide aircraft that you follow.

You don't need to put in all the challenges or awards etc you would just set up the system to spawn a load of AI aircraft which would follow a series of waypoints that you define.

The default mission editor is tricky to use but a new one has been created that looks like making missions a simple task. I haven't used it but check out "Jim Keir’s Mission Editor for FSX" at  http://secure.simmarket.com/product_info.php?products_id=2795. It's free for a simple missions such as this.

josedav,

I havent used that tool for FS9, but I find the FSX SDK simple to use as well.  You can have your own custom AI traffic in a matter of minutes, however there are limitations, like you cannot specify waypoints.. but the basic parameters are there eg. day, time, frequency, destination airport, cruise alt, etc..

If you have FSX DeLuxe version, the SDK and other development tools comes with it in Disk 1  :) 

Cheers

Santiago

Hi all,

I managed to create a "mini" GA AI Traffic made up of 3 single props (Cub, Maule, C172) doing touch-n-go's at Lilydale using the SDK Traffic Tools.  It can further be enhanced to include other in-bound or out-bound traffic.

Unfortunately, i don't know how to post the BGL file here, in case some of you might be interested to try it out.  Any idea how?

Santiago

Archived