O60 Cloverdale: Windsock is Missing

Steve707

Hello,

As a student pilot flying out of Healdsburg Muni, I do much of my take-off and landing training at nearby Cloverdale. I fully appreciate (and am in much awe) of the precise amount of detail found in Orbx's Cloverdale Airport model and the nearby town and region. I find many familiar POI's to aid my training when I'm not in the cockpit.

One important thing missing from Orbx's Cloverdale Airport is the windsock. It is located about 175 ft. NNW of the hangars, in the grass between the taxiway and the vineyard. You can see it in Google Satellite of the airport (looks white, but is familiar orange,) as well as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVq6URVHNk0 at about the 5:50 and 6:30 marks.

Any chance of updating O60 Cloverdale to add the missing windsock?

Thank you for all your impressive artwork,

Steve

Hi Neil,

Wow! Thank you for the prompt reply, especially during a holiday week. I found the windsock after turning off the Orbx O60-Cloverdale add-on, in the right place as you said. However, it doesn't seem to react to custom wind settings specified in Weather (I set up ground-to-3000' winds of 24 kts, out of the NNE, and the sock hung limply pointing North) - is it supposed to track winds?

Also, I realize you didn't develop O60-Cloverdale (that was Greg Jones and Russell Linn), but if you can pass along to them to add a functional windsock, I would be most appreciative. Their scenery is otherwise magnificent!

Best regards, and happy New Year,

Steve

Hi again,

OK, you must be using p3D.  The windsocks we were using when building those airports all used the ORBX windsocks (that we found didn't work for P3D).  I now use the stock FSX versions that DO work with P3D.  The fix I did here was easy by just moving the windsock that was placed as an object.  However the next fix is a little more difficult as I place FSX windsocks via ADE and I don't have the original source file.  Give me some time to find it and do the change.

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil,

So sorry! I guess I should've given you more information. I'm using FSX:Steam on Windows 10. Curious it didn't work. Let me know if I should be telling you anything more.

As far as I can tell, the winds are working. At least, they do move the clouds faster with the higher winds. I assume they are also at ground level - is there another way to check (I'm just starting to play with winds, since I practiced my first gusty landings last week - exciting stuff!)

Best regards,

Steve

Hi Neil,

I did a bit more testing. You are right - the windsock does reflect the wind conditions quite well. Here's what I noticed, though... If you're sitting in the parked plane watching the windsock, then change the wind speed and direction using Weather from the Menu, the sock doesn't appear to change state - until you look away to the right, then look back (looking left didn't seem to matter.) Anyway, that may be why I didn't see it change state before. 

Thank you again for the new BGL file. If Greg Jones and Russell Linn can update their files to add the windsock, that would be wonderful. The terrain and POIs are much more accurate (as one would expect) in their O60 model.

Best regards,

Steve

Archived