PNG taxiing on top of sloped strips

Tozzifan

Hello,

I've just started the journey into Kokoda trail and Tapini areas

I've flown a few flights with Milviz STOL Beaver only

my only hard time so far is to taxi when reaching the top of landing slopes: on the steepest, several times I was stuck into the "mud" and, no matter the power applied, I remained stuck, having to resort to slewing or doing the landing again

so please I am asking whether there is a way to avoid that,

thanks

Hi Tozzifan. I too am a n enthusiast of the PNG sloped strips where I used to fly professionally. I have the same problems with other aircraft in Flightsim. I don't think its fixeable but as in the real aircraft I keep my speed up in the C 185 until I can turn crosswind at the top of the strip.

This seems to work and power judgement can be a bit tricky. Havee you tried Tapini scenery.  Really really good.

Hope this has been helpful.

Hi,

I hope that in real life it had been less tricky for you turning the aircraft on top of those slopes :)

I have also C208 and C185, I will try them: the Milviz Beaver sometimes barely moves even at maximum power ... so much for engine care

When flying the 'Jungles' (the Kokoda track strips) Kokoda, Efogi, Kagi, Myola, Manari and Luanumu are all great with Twinotter or A2A C182, However there are a few tricky ones that need something with a lot of power such as Timkenumo, Boridi, Milei and Bodinumo, these are there to test you, Timkenumo in particular...

IkjhgIp.jpg

When flying the Golialas, Tapini, Woitape and Ononge are good with most bush aircraft, Kosipe, Asimba, Yongai and Fane need something with lots of power

n6C0leD.jpg

Just make sure you are using the PNG Holgermesh set to 5m (this is what we developed on) and not one of the 3rd party meshes

Some Flightsim aircraft just do not respond well to sloping strips in general

thanks for these hints (maps saved)

:) I've discovered things the hard way: so far I haven't been able to leave Milei with Milviz stol Beaver, without toggling out crashes when touching the top of trees (I considered to prefer the DHC2 to the Twin Otter because its size, wrong choice)... although empty of payload, and in the end I did refly from AYPY with .... more power

not an issue: all this is a pleasant discovery to alternatively enjoy the simulator and your products, and learn

by the way: isn't there a way to have just some air traffic in these canyons?

by the way #2: holy cow, you placed even the butterflies flying around: now I find more reasonable to ask again from you bears, wolves and caribous in Alaska! ;) and bald eagles

Great, glad I could help!

When developing the scenery we had some fun trying different tactics into the strips :rolleyes: the Twinotter was always my weapon of choice

Regarding AI, while we cant have it flying into the sloped strips we did attempt to have some come into (flat APX version) Kokoda, but had issues with the mountains around the valley, so we decided to retain the bumpy sloping strip over an AI that didnt work well, however Graham our AI expert did a marvelous job recreating many flights out of Port Moresby to all the enhanced regionals complete with custom paint jobs, this is a part of the Aus/NZ AI traffic pack (you probably already have this)

If you have time check out these videos from the area, specifically the Kagi-Efogi flight in video #3, 45 seconds duration, landing checks are done on the ground before take off... yikes

And some videos of the Goilalas (Tapini pack) here

thanks thanks, those videos give quite a contribution to immersion

you read my mind, I was about to ask for liveries ...

just another feedback about a weird issue, as my hopping from strip to strip is progressing: on YONGAI:

there, although having been able to land and taxi regularly, on takeoff (from the more elevated position, of course) the aircraft was greatly slowed down, just like it was on brakes (while it wasn't, of course); I was not able to takeoff (unless I continued to speed up in the jungle below :) ....)

an update to my feedback, thanks to the videos you pointed me at:

I now see, in the second one of the Goilala videos, that on YONGAI the aircraft lands and takes off from the opposite direction I used: in the real world the strip appears to be flat, and the real Twin Otter lands from NE and takes off jumping off the cliff NE bound, while in my p3dv4, seeing the inclination of the slope rising from SW to NE, it made me do the opposite choice

so, if I "jump off the cliff" NE bound, the aircraft is not slowed down by any "mud"

There is a slope on Yongai

Sld7Wy3.jpg

Which we managed to copy somewhat within the constraints of FS and mesh resolution,  if this does not match your sim and you do have PNG Holgermesh installed , its possible you have a conflicting mesh active

hNEgoNk.jpg

Also in the video 9:28>> , the landing is done with the hillside on the right, and on take off the hillside is on the left, which would indicate same way in as out

https://youtu.be/R7LGk-sxi34?t=590

Archived