5870 issues

sylvester243

i just got myself a Gigabyte 5870, not really the brand i wanted but with how hard the 5870 is to get hold of it was all i could get at the time with needing a new video card.

my problem is i am getting green dots and lines all over everything.....games, web pages, any programs

i am using windows7 b4 bit, these dots that appear will move around on the screen when moving any open window to a different spot,

i have taken the card out and replaced it to make sure it was secure, all cables are tight and secure, drivers from the cd and from Ati web site have the same effect, dots everywhere

i also did a new format just to make sure everything was new installed and still get green dots everywhere.

it is more noticeable in any dark areas of the screen

is this a faulty card or a driver issue.....has anyone else had this with their 5870

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Really sorry to hear of your woes there mate, wish I'd knew the direct fix for you,

I assume that before re-installing the drivers you cleared out the old ones, just for testing purposes, delete all drivers, pluck the card out and re-insert it, W7 will tell it has found a new device, let it do it's thing and find the drivers for it without you pointing it to the install CD or any other place, likely it will come up with drivers found on the W7 update site, install them and see what it does, if it improved then the drivers you have are dodgy or maybe you overloked something, how insignificant it may seem.

also what's your PSU size ?

just thinking outloud as I do not have an ATI card

I understand your frustration. My 5870 was broken when it was delivered as part of a new machine I got about 3 weeks ago. I had to send the whole machine back (apparantly the card is so heavy, it damaged the connection between card/motherboard whilst in transport). I have had absolutely no problems with my replacement card (a Sapphire) and get no dots on my screen. I would imagine it is a faulty card and not a driver issue.

Steve

Mate I've got a Gigabyte 4870 with exactly the same problem. Its about 15-16 months old. I havent had a problem with it all until just after I installed W7 x64, which must only be a coincidence. I dont think its driver related, as while the dot thing is happening if I reboot the dots continue throughout the reboot (ie bios/power on screen and everything) so I'm pretty sure its a hardware fault. I think this thing has a 2 yr warranty so I might look into this. I did have a problem with the 9.11 drivers (see another thread) but this green dot thing was happening well before that.

EDIT - I forgot to mention its very intermittent. The prime time for it to happen is within about 10 minutes of booting the PC. It will play up for 5 or 10 mins before being perfect again until the next time I boot the machine. Its vary rare that after its occurred once, to occur again before the machine is turned off and on again.

In your case I would be calling the place you bought it from to swap over as the card is brand new.

Archived