Destroyed in seconds - what a croc

skypilot

Did anyone else see Destroyed in seconds in TV last night? What an absolute croc!!!!

Talk about drongo commentators trying to sound knowledgeable about topic on which they have no knowledge! There was a helicopter that crashed after doing a loop. Before it crashed the drongo said it did a 180 degree wing-over "which is an inverted loop"; looked like a 180 degree turn to me and then did a loop. At the bottom of the loop it hit the ground (the pilot survived - drongo said he had done the manoeuvre 1,200 times before). The reason he did not die was the skids took the brunt of the impact- Hmmm I do not think the skids slowed it down that much and the reason the pilot made the mistake was put down to the weather; the hot air (of the day) caused the altimeter to give a false reading and the pilot to misjudged his height? I thought the altimeter works on air pressure not hot air? Unless that relates to the QNH setting? So it was not pilot error but the altimeter and the that caused the crash!

They showed a jet that crashed on landing and rolled over. The drongo said this type of aircraft was riddle with bug-ridden software and the software failed just as the aircraft landed because the computer was overloaded with too many inputs from the pilot? They did some creative editing - they showed the jet just after one wing was impacting the ground and off it went and rolled over. It looked to me that perhaps it was a heavy landing on one wheel when the undercarriage collapsed on landing and was nothing to do with software.

They showed the same aircraft the drongo said, but what I think he meant the same aircraft type, not the the same aircraft that crashed previously, rotating sharply up to the vertical possibly in a manoeuvre to go straight up but it didn't for what ever reason and may have stalled or engine flamed-out (especially with a yellow flame out the rear end - that is only my guess), and the pilot ejected. The drongo said this was due to a software bug again and it happened when it was coming in to land - did not look like it was coming in to land to me especially with the wheels retracted and quite high and the (stalled) aircraft fell to the ground in the middle of a city park?

There also was a DC 3 with a catastrophic engine failure on take off. The drongo said a propeller blade came off and severed the fuel lines resulting in an enormous fire. Maybe the prop blade did come off but as the engine was on the ground, possibly shaken off it's mounts due to an imbalance at full revs (?) and thus severing the fuel lines is more likely than the prop blade, flying off parallel to the wing, severing fuel lines?

Anybody would think that was channel nine with sensationalist reporter, Mike Munro reporting, but it was on Prime!

They showed a jet that crashed on landing and rolled over. The drongo said this type of aircraft was riddle with bug-ridden software and the software failed just as the aircraft landed because the computer was overloaded with too many inputs from the pilot? They did some creative editing - they showed the jet just after one wing was impacting the ground and off it went and rolled over. It looked to me that perhaps it was a heavy landing on one wheel when the undercarriage collapsed on landing and was nothing to do with software.

Pilot-Induced Oscillation was the cause of this crash, which was was attributed to the steering system in the aircraft being both over-sensitive and under-responsive and was subsequently redesigned.

They showed the same aircraft the drongo said, but what I think he meant the same aircraft type, not the the same aircraft that crashed previously, rotating sharply up to the vertical possibly in a manoeuvre to go straight up but it didn't for what ever reason and may have stalled or engine flamed-out (especially with a yellow flame out the rear end - that is only my guess), and the pilot ejected. The drongo said this was due to a software bug again and it happened when it was coming in to land - did not look like it was coming in to land to me especially with the wheels retracted and quite high and the (stalled) aircraft fell to the ground in the middle of a city park?

The second crash was due to similar reasons.

The Chopper crash was a direct result of pilot error and ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the Altimeter being incorrect although it may have been incorrectly set.

It's a thing called Density Altitude -  ie for a given temperature and humidity the air is XYZ dense so if the temperature rised then the air is less dense and therefore does not produce the same lift from the same input.

Think of Honey in the fridge@4Deg  v Honey at room temperature 25 Deg  v Honey in a bowl floating in a sink of hot water @ 40 Deg . The honey is still the exact same honey but is at different densities due to temperature difference.

I know this is an exaggeration but it demonstrates the principle.

The first jet crash starts off just as the port gear fails presumably from heavy impact as a result of the PIO's .

The second one looked as if he was in the process slowing on down wind when some control input was interpreted as incorrect resulting in flight computer input and thus a steep pull up resulting in a high angle low speed stall and turbine flame out.

I didn't see the DC3 one but it would stand to reason that a hamilton standard they have fitted if it lost a blade would shake the hell out of what is left and the result would be a mess.

SAAB had a real rough trot with fly by wire systems at that time but seem to have solved those issues.

has any one else noticed the sounds effects are way over the top, some nice fotage of stuff going wrong, it is just killed by drongo commentary and the over kill sound effects.  how can you get glass breaking in a carterham 7 roll over????  or an LP Gas fire burning with the sound of kindling????

Over here in England we have reached saturation point with these types of shows. On many digital channels here there are almost back to back listings of this format.

there is....

Destroyed in Seconds,

Crash,

Worlds Most Amazing Videos, (series 1, 2 and 3)

Moment of Impact,

Disaster Zone,

Holy @#*%, (that really is it's name!)

Insane,

When Sport Goes Bad,

Worlds Wildest Police Chase Videos,

And probably another 3 that i cant remember the names of! they are all trashy video clip shows featuring similar clips from around the world of accidents, crashes and general disaster.

It's nice to see such a high level of fresh thinking and creativity within the world of media today ::)

Russ.

Archived