V4 Complexity

tennyson

I am in the process (as a lot of people are) in going over to P3D V4.

I guess also, that with the advent of 64 bit software, I was hoping that things would get better. In my view, so much has. But it also has it's own brand of problems.....what new toy doesn't?

Let me get to the point. One of the first things I did when I tested V4 was wind up all the settings, because it looked so damn good and could handle it. Then, all the new add-ons started arriving....load them all up.

What I hadn't expected is the level of complexity that V4 has bought about.

I have been fighting with various bits of software, to work with each other, since V4's arrival.

And whilst I am not pointing the finger at any one manufacturer (and I am not having any issues with ORBX stuff) , the level of integration with scenery and add-ons is less than impressive.

I am talking about ATC, scenery, weather, ground services, Instructor Stations and the like, that should all work seamlessly together. They can, but you need to know how product one interferes with number two and so forth and how to find and install the workaround or patch.

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to software, and I can normally work my way through a software issue without calling for help, but I find myself constantly gracing the forums and scouring the web sites to make one program work with another.

I guess in a way, Pandora's box has been opened and we are now dealing with a whole new level of acquired knowledge to get to the Nirvana we thought would come at a much lower cost.

I still haven't integrated all of the P3D V4 systems into my cockpit, that's a whole other world of hurt, waiting there.

All I can say is that we will need more patience and the odd valium to get through the next few years......Good Luck to All of Us!

Frank

1.jpg

Archived