new fsx custom build with 5870 not working, any ideas?

steve31000

Dear all,

I have just received delivery of a new i7 920 computer today with XfX 5870 graphics card after a long wait. Unfortunately when it was delivered to me today, I turned it on to find that I got no picture on my monitor (I tried two monitors - they say powersaving mode when I turn the computer on). And my fsx and ftx dreams went up in smoke!

I rang the company I ordered from and they told me to open the system up and disconnect the graphics card and simply plug it back in as it may have come loose during delivery. I did as they said but still I get no picture after plugging it back in. The fan spins on the graphics card so power is definitely going into it. It's plugged into the card slot nearest the cpu (not sure if it makes a difference).

I have tried both a hdmi cable and a dvi so not the cables fault. The motherboard is a Gigabyte X58 UD3R, 6Gb ram with a Corsair 650W power supply all put together by this company. Returning it is going to be a pain as they don't tell you the time of collection (and I've already waited in for 2days for the delivery van to finally show up) and it will be hard to be here when its will be returned (can't get time off work). Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be and if there is anything I can do to try to fix it myself? I've saved and waited two years for this upgrade and am praying there is something I can do to fix it!

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear of your woes there, did you check if the external powercords are also connected to the card ? it needs those

also check out here for drivers and other support issues for your particular card, best is to register =>here<=

unfortunatly they have shielded off the manuals etc etc so I cannot access then from this end as I do not have a serial number :P

I know this might sound silly but sometimes it can doi the trick.

as suggested above, check the card has the power leads all plugged into it.

next see if the motherboard has a built in video output if so plug a monitor in there it may be that the bios has not been setup correctly.

if not and your sure it should power up check you monitor has power (I know how that sounds but sometimes it helps) switch off then on.

finally you can reset the bios with the jumper on the motherboard.

turn system on and hold del key or f1 key try to access bios.

if still no luck try a different video card see if that comes to life.

well thats all I can think of, I prefer to build my own systems as it is easier for me but I think you got a big system and would love to know how the video card goes. I am interested in one of them

Colin

Thanks for the help. I tried everything but nothing would work. The courier company picked it up today take back to the company I bought it from. I'll have to wait another 5 days for fsx working on 5870 i7 goodness! Can't wait to see the results! I'm upgrading from a core duo 2 8600m GT laptop (which runs FSX suprisingly well for lappy!) so there should be a nice difference!

Steve

Archived