If It Ain't Broke Dont Fix It!

brudgeon

I have been away from flight simming for a couple of years (no, I’ve not been in gaol!) and I have been  busy re-installing FSX and Orbx stuff onto a new Windows 10 laptop. I needed to update all my FTX scenery regions and that involves lots of downloading and lots of gigabytes (= $ for internet charges).

I find myself in the brave new world of FTX Central v3 which is supposed to make things easy for us. My experience so far has been far from agreeable! I am urged to use it for all my downloads and new purchases but I have had ZERO success with it. A short way through a download I keep getting ”Connection was interrupted. Try again?”  One of the Orbx team suggested that I reset my modem. That was rubbish because I have successfully downloaded heaps of stuff outside of FTXCv3! There’s nothing wrong with the modem.

I soon tired of this and, by chance, came across a link to …forums/topic/125638-updates-from-old-website-support-pagedvd-customers. This was the old way of doing it and it always worked!

So I began to downloaded the patches manually. The first one I chose, FTX EU ENG150 (452MB) suffered three interruptions but as I was using Free Download Manager it picked up where it left off and eventually completed the download. Most other patches downloaded and installed normally except for FTX NA Blue NRM005.zip (1.16MB) which downloaded but failed to install. That will be the subject of another post.

I then discovered a pattern. All the downloads sourced from cloud.orbxsystems.com/…. went smoothly. The problematic ones were sourced form myftx.com/…. Looks like the problem is there.

As everything is now based on your new FTXCv3, you really need to get its downloading sorted. At the very least you need to advise the filename so a manual download can be chosen and maybe it was rash to ditch the old way – if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Hi,

Thanks for the informative post-Sir. We have many, many happy customers who have enjoyed the benefits of using FTXCV3, please let myself or another Orbx Team Member know if you need help with downloading or installing our products via FTXCV3, we are more than happy to help. :)

Archived