Chitty Chitty Bang! Bang! ?

Bandit

Well fantasy is now reality. The "Transition" from Terrafugia has completed flight tests and is planned for production from 2011. For USD $195,000 you can own one of these little beauties.

Imagine this as an FSX aircraft - we could then enjoy the glorious detail of FTX both on the ground as well as from the air.

I'm a car...

Posted Image

Taxi or taxiing??...

Posted Image

Rotate!...

Posted Image

Look Ma! I can fly!!...

Posted Image

I run on petrol (high octane unleaded)...

Posted Image

Performance

Cruise: 100 kts (115 mph)

Rotate: 70 kts (80 mph)

Stall: 45 kts (51 mph)

Range: 400nm (460 mi)

Takeoff over 50' obstacle: 1700'

Fuel burn: 5 gph

Fuel tank: 20 gallons

Useful Load: 430 lbs

On road: 30 mpg, highway speeds

Light Sport Aircraft (LSA)  

Video interview with the engineer ..
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyR2E1QGTCk

First flight
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXnLCIgNug

Posted Image

Posted Image

That must be the new ORBX CEO Corporate Vehicle right there....... I can just picture JV touching down out front of the office each morning in that  ;)

I want one!

Just imagine driving down the Hume highway bored with driving, unfolding the wings (whilst moving which probably cannot be done, but hey, dreams are free), and away you go!

You would not want to take it shopping with all the shopping carts and drongos giving you door dings. Neither would you really want to drive it far what with stone chips upsetting the aerofoils.

I would find having the steering wheel there whilst flying a bit annoying. I would imagine it would be rather expensive being all carbon fibre.

I'd rather own the 172 in the background   :P

Yep, if only I could afford to run the 172 I'd be happier with it - the little Caeroplane is a bit of an ugly duckling, and maybe not as practical due to the damage in car parks etc., but I guess they said all that about the model T too.  :D

I would rather tool around in that than be a complete tool in a Ferrari Testarossa, which youy cannot even legally get up to it's top speed on any highway in Aussie, plus, it's cheaper. Imagine heading up to Sydney, Cop tailing you, unfold wings anf make like James Bond. "My Name's Howat, Cathy Howat" :)

Archived