Obscuring Masks Prevent VFR Flight

300CBi

This problem prevents me using Orbx EU Wales and EU England. I reported it problem on the FTX 3 Central forum but haven't had any responses yet after 2 days so I'm trying here as the problem is serious.

I installed the scenery recently on a Windows 10 PC with a good specification and at the start of each flight all looks good. My PC has 3 displays which have in the past worked perfectly running FSX. I fly a Schweizer 300CBi in real life and with FSX I use Just Flight's copy of that aircraft. Shortly into the flight, strange things begin to appear briefly on the displays. As the flight progresses the objects appear more often, for longer periods,Leeds2.pngLeeds3.png and obscure the view more seriously. After about 15 minutes the situation is so bad that it is impossible to see enough through the canopy to fly the helicopter. I'll show an example below as Leeds2 which shows the first signs of the problem. Leeds3 shows an example of the next stage of the problem.

Please can anyone say what's happening here and how to stop it?

Yes Karsten I am using FSX.

DX10 mode, not certain. But my fsx.cfg file says under [Graphics] D3D10=0; does that mean I'm not in DX10 mode or should I look somewhere else?

My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 980.

Thanks for your quick response,

Brian

You can also look in the graphics tab inside the settings. There is a checkbox for DX10 preview.

Whatever it is you are seeing there is not related to ORBX it is a graphics card issue.

I had an ATI card and at some time they changed something in the drivers that made them incompatible with FSX's DX10 mode. As a resulte you would get artifacts like these if you set the water detail too high. I don't remember the FSX settings exact naming conventions  since I'm on P3D for quite some time now, but I believe you have to go down to 1.x

I changed to NVIDIA to solve the issue because I didn't want to lower my settings.

But since you are already on Nvidia I can only suggest you try a different driver or check the temperature of your card. It can be a driver issue related to the water rendering, but in the worst case your card is starting to come apart due to heat strain.

Thanks KVSandleben and GlennH.

First please can we consider this: before I start changing things I'd like to be able to get back to where I started from. So, are all my FSX settings depicted entirely in my present fsx.cfg file? Hopefully they are so I have something to copy and use as a backup if necessary.

Second, can I say what I've done since your responses in case this indicates what to try next.

Not wanting to tackle the video driver first, I merely went into FSX settings and enabled Preview DX10. I then flew from London City to LHRW with a few 360° turns to check for artifacts in all directions and there were none. The flight lasted 30 min and demonstrated that the original artifact problem had been completely removed. BUT another new problem had appeared - all Orbx "medium sized buildings" now appear in outline only with a black fill. Apart from this the flight was perfect in all respects.

Does this trigger any ideas on what to try next? I could live with the black buildings as a payment for removing the artifacts but I'd rather sort things out completely.

All the best,

Brian

DX10 was never fully developed for FSX out of the box. If you want to get rid of the black boxes you need this payware program:

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/how-to-purchase/

Personally I grew tired of fiddling around with cfg files. That is why I switched to P3D in the end. Better performance, better visuals, no cfg file editing needed.

Archived