Slow FSX Download Time

danr

Hello,

I am having a problem with my recent  reinstall of FSX.  I used Nick Cooper's excellent "How to reinstall FTX products with least downloading" and all went very well.  However, now I am experiencing slow FSX downloads

Before my reinstall, FSX downloaded in approximately two minutes.  Now it is taking approximately six minutes.  The "Loading auto-generated scenery" section is hanging up for approximately three minutes.

Does anyone know what may be causing this problem?

Dan 

Hi,

Let me rephrase my question.  When starting FSX or changing locations, why does "auto-generated scenery" loading time consume over half of the total loading time?  Example: "auto-generated scenery" loading took three and a half minutes of a total loading time of five and half minutes.

As stated in my original post, my total loading times have increased from around two minutes to around six minutes.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dan

We'll have to get back to some basics here.

Where is your FSX main folder located ?    Should not be a sub folder of "Program Files(86)"

De activate any antivirus software and try again.  You may have to make an exception rule in your AV software to exclude your FSX folder.

After the new install of FSX, did you run a de-fragmentation program on your FSX drive ? (Not needed on a SSD)  

A good commercial program like O&O is the best using the "Name" option.

If these things have been done and there is no improvement, go to the "Command Prompt" (CMD) and run "chkdsk [your drive letter] /r" to correct any file system errors that may have been created during the new install.  (it can run on a SSD and correct errors)

If an SSD, was it formatted using the "Align=1024" option ? (used to set the virtual sector boundary)

Any of the above will effect the drives performance.

(BTW.. I bet you have Twin Oaks Airpark installed)

Hello Chris,

Thanks for responding to my request for help.  To answer your questions:   (1) My FSX main folder is located at C:\FSX  (2) I deactivated my antivirus but it did not help  (3) I have a Samsung SSD  (4) I used O&O Defrag several years ago.  I never thought of using it with an SSD  (5) I ran chkdsk with a /r with no problems reported  (6) Before I did a clean reinstall of Windows 7, I did a Samsung Secure Erase.  As I recall, during the reinstall, the program created only one partition for the use of Windows 7  (8) No, I do not have Twin Oaks Airpark.  I'll get it after my problem is solved.

As an experiment , I disenabled all of the non-FSX scenery including ORBX in my Scenery Library .  This left only FSX scenery which took less than a minute to load.

Again, thanks for your help.  Dan         

Archived