annoying spikes and making better tech-choices

KLM480

Hey guys,

I am a enthousiastic reader (of the other side of the globe) of this magnificent orbx forum!

As a FSX-flightsimmer I sometimes have to push the envelope of my system which merely gives me [glow=red,2,300]annoying spikes [/glow] as mentioned in this post; http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=13839.msg119859#msg119859

I deduct (as a none PC-guru) that most of this is vidcard related and has to do with cooling of your system.

Since I am reluctant to change too much on the settings of my ATI cards, I questioned myself if changing or upgrading parts of my system could help me in getting rid of these annoying sky-high spikes I also seem to have in intense city or forest areas (with scenery complexity dense+ and autogen setting dense+)

(I did use the Vsync and other items discussed in the ATI Radeon cards discussed earlier in this forum, which in fact gave me already a better performance)

Here are the specs of my system running on Windows Xp pro 32

Power Supply: 1 x ThermalTake 1500W Toughpower Power Supply, 14cm Fan - Modular

Motherboard: 1 x D5400XS

2x LGA771, Intel 5400 Express, 1600 FSB, 4x FBDIMM DDR2-800, 4x PCI-Ex16, 4x SATA-II, 2x eSATA, GigLAN, 8Chl, Firewire, EATX

CPU: 2 x Core 2 Extreme QX9775 Quad Core (3.2GHz) - LGA771, 1600 FSB, 12MB L2 Cache, 45nm, 150W

For Intel Desktop Board DX5400 only

Memory - RAM: 4 x 4096MB PC2-5300 667MHz Fully Buffered ECC DDR2 RAM - CL5

Hard Drives - Internal: 1 x 1000GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II-300 HDD

Hard Drives - Internal: 3 x Western Digital 300GB 10,000rpm Serial ATA-II-300 w. 16MB Cache (WD3000GLFS) Velociraptor

CD/DVD/Floppy Drive: 2 x Pioneer Blu-Ray Writer

- Read Blu-Ray, CD`s & DVD`s

- Write Blu-Ray, CD`s & DVD`s

Video Card: 2 x Gigabyte Radeon HD 4870X2 - 2GB DDR5

512-bit, 2x DVI, HDTV - PCI-Ex16 v2.0

Sound Card: 1 x Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Soundcard

DUAL SCREEN MAIN 29INCH AND SIDE 25INCH PLASMA SCREEN

WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL 32

Pro TrackIR

SAITEK PRO RUDDERS YOKE ETC

EVERYTHING INSTALLED FROM ORBX REX2 ASA ETC

My question(s) to the forum- since I might  “upgrade†my pc-system- and thus trying to make some good choices:

1. Any chance that changing my vidcars to a Nvidea type 285 and up can help me in getting  rid of those “spikes†as mentioned above

2. or is it wiser to keep my vidcars and investing in a new motherboard?

3. Or is changing my motherboard + vidcards and shifting to W7 with a clean re-install is the best option regarding better performance and especially avoiding the "spikes"?

Any help/advice is more then welcome!

Thanks in advance

Hans,

Brugge Belgium

Hey Alain,

Thx for your reply!

I am now looking at my catalyst control centre of my ATI HD4870*2 CARD (crossfireX enabled)

Looking at the ATI Overdrive subtab (= Graphics adapter)

It says that

my ATI Overdrive is enabled

GPU Clock=  750MHz  (range 507-800)

Memory Clock= 900Mhz (range 500-1000)

and

current values

GPU clock 507Mhz

Memory clock 500Mhz

Anyhow, how can I eventualy downclock the card? :-\

Thx ,

Hans!

an update as promised  ;)

I did check the ATI Radeon website and did install the latest driver available (september 2009 version), I didn't find any little program that could help me with tuning my clockspeed however (as you suggested Wolter, but nevertheless)

After the install  of those latest drivers,I re-checked my Catalyst ATI vidcard center and probably with the install of the new driver, I got again a sort of "default" setting GPU clock-wise, a sort of spontaneous underclocking happened … (is that possible?)

I went out for a quick flight out of YSTW with a CS 757 ( yes, I know these birds don’t fly there)but had to check for those “spikesâ€.

So I fired up ASA + REX2 + CS757 (all whistle and bells on) + Flight commander 8,6 +  autogen = extremely dense + scenery complexity= extremely dense  and flew at FL060 over dense forest and rural areas and surprisingly I got no spikes, no stutters and FPS > 25…

So I sat back enyoing the FSX party in front of my eyes and only wondering how long this marvelous FSX feast will last , anyhow for now I cross fingers! :D

If problems arise, I will report back,

Thanks again,

Hans

Archived