Interesting memory issue (Corsair) reduced memory, more speed!

mmglads

Hi folks,

Just looking at the post about overclocking tempted me to load up "Easytune 6" as I've got a Gigabyte mainboard. Just looking through all of the tabs, I hit the one on memory & was able to look at my Slot 1~4 memory chips - all Corsair "xtreme DDR2 800mhZ" - 1 gig each, total of 4 gig. When I got to slot 4, I was surprised to see that the configuration was different from the other three. Now I don't pretend to know what these figures are, but because these are supposed to be two "matched pairs" - I took the offending slot 4 chip out, also chip in slot 2 to retain my matching. Back into FSX, and suddenly with 2 gig less, I can fly YMML at around 20 FPS - unheard of with my set up - usually around 5~6 FPS. Maurice King mentioned in an earlier post that I should look at my hardware, but I was blowed if I could see a problem.

I'll post a screen to show what I mean - this happens to be slot 1, but I've indicated where the omissions were in slot 4. I've had a great afternoon in Melbourne, as the memory is "guaranteed for life", I might just send it back - if only I can remember who I bought it from!

Posted Image

Any thoughts, resident "Gurus"? And yes, I will buy 1066 memory next time!

Noted guys & thanks. I ram "memtest" from a boot up CD & I did have (apparently) a problem with one of my chips, so that's going back. In the meantime, I've uninstalled Easytune - just in case, JV! However, it was useful in alerting me to a problem I had no idea about, FSX now running (with my new 275 GTX video card) really well - just nice to be up there again. Cheers once more, Malcolm.

Archived