Strange noise at Cushman Meadows and Bear Gulch

bvdboomen

It's been a long time since I've flown into Cushman Meadows but I cannot recall the loud noisy sound among the environment sounds.

I've made a recording, and the sound starts at about 2.5 seconds and stops at 14 seconds.

It sounds very mechanical and too loud.

The followings steps are already made:

- Re-install Cushman Meadows

- Re-install latest ORBX libraries

- Checked the sounds at Bowerman (no problems)

Here is the sound, I hope it's playable. I recorded it with my smartphone.

http://www.bvdboomen.nl/orbx/CushmanMeadows.m4a

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

That sounds like the ( ORBX_PF2_Jackhammer.wav ) - but slightly muffled as though way... way.... in the distance, but accompanied by Orbx bird sounds. You can find it in your  \Sound folder.

It is quite OK and normal to hear this sound, not sure how to turn off the individual sound apart from shifting the .wav file to a new folder within the "\Sound" folder for testing.

Perhaps Orbx staff can suggest the proper method to deactivate this sound file in the sim, if moving it to a New folder is incorrect.

Hi again Ben,

Found this:

@Tim Harris  made a silencer for the Jackhammer guy, it works even though the topic is about the same jackhammer guy at an airport in Oregon - (Rogue Valley-Medford KMFR - Oregon)  Try the silencer .wav file or pull his compressor fuse:lol: LOL.

I don't know why you are hearing him at Cushmans though, I went to his workplace on the tarmac at KMFR where he has been jackhammering the same hole for 6 months:ph34r:. He is quite loud when up close just like the unsilenced .wav file, but if you move away about 20 meters or so the sound becomes muffled just like your recording, the sound stops completely further than 50 meters. I can't explain why he can be heard at KCMW unless the sound has become jammed in the loaded scenery for some reason or carried over from a previous flight.

Jeff, thank you for the suggestion but that didn't help.

I slewed the plane to both ends of the runway and indeed the sound is almost gone.

So what I did now was to disable all sound features in the control panel and now it's gone, together with all other sounds.

Next is to turn them on one by one to see which one it is.

Ok, I did some testing:

In screenshot one, only the KCMW birds are checked and the noise appears:

soundsKCMW3.jpg

Now I checked off both bird sounds and leave the rest on and the noise is gone:

soundsKCMW4.jpg

EDIT: I searched the audio samples and found two with the same name in the Sound and Sounds folder. Both are ok.

Cheers,

Ben.

I also get a looped sound often when I save at Pago Pago. It sounds like a diesel electric train idling away and can sometimes be very loud and annoying. I have searched through the sound files but have not been successful in locating the offending file. When this occurs, i have to turn the volume right down low so as not to be driven insane while preparing for the flight.  :- 

The above quote was from a post I made back in Sept 2015 and I still haven't been able to locate that offending sound file. It occurs intermittently especially when loading saved scenarios that were saved within an Orbx scenery area. This includes Jackson's Int, Tapini and Pago Pago. I have listened to every single individual sound file within the simulator without finding that sound that you have recorded with your smartphone, which is one that I have been searching for so that I can delete it. Drives me crazy when you are sitting at some tropical island airstrip or some isolated PNG village in the Highlands only to have that thumping noise start hammering in your ears. It would be fantastic to get this resolved.  

G'day Jeff, unfortunately I don't have anything to record this sound with but that mechanical sound that "bvdboomen" recorded with his phone is exactly the sound that I hear. It can vary in volume from faint in the background to loud enough to make you take your headphones off but it is also intermittent. It first occurred when I started using Pago Pago scenery and I thought it must have been an Orbx sound but thinking about it, all the flying I do is using Orbx scenery so it may well be something P3D is injecting into the mix. The sound has been present in P3Dv2.4 as well as P3Dv3.4

I have attached the link from the original post.

http://www.bvdboomen.nl/orbx/CushmanMeadows.m4a

Hi Kevin,

Not what I was hoping for, a little disappointed as an actual recording can be quite different between users. Also I believe the sound Ben was hearing is actually the( ORBX_PF2_Jackhammer.wav ) but when you play the actual file it is much louder, clearer & shorter loop than when played by the sim amongst other sounds. 

The ( ORBX_PF2_Jackhammer.wav ) silent version supplied in that post ( unless you have that file renamed) should eliminate this sound if triggered anywhere in the sim.

You can use Microsoft "Sound Recorder"  found in Start Menu > All programs > Accessories.  Make sure your microphone is recording the sound externally or is set to internally record from the sim or other programs, (you will see sound detection bar on the recorder minipanel if audio is being recorded) . It will record the sound and save the file when recording is stopped then save the file to Documents folder as a .wma file.

Ok in the absence of an identifiable recording, I will attempt to describe my theory from your description below.

2 hours ago, kevinsue said:

It sounds like a diesel electric train idling

If by chance you have activated the auxiliary fuel pump/s in any of the P3D default light aircraft : eg; (Maule Orion) and left the fuel pump running when exiting the sim, it will still be running when you start your next flight in any plane equipped with aux fuel pump/s. The default sound file associated with this sound is \Sound\fuel_pump.wav  it is a very loud (short loop) recording which sounds very much like a idling diesel/electric train or generator. (This also occurs in FSX)

To disable/ cease hearing this annoying sound, you must select for instance, the Default "Maule Orion" then switch off the Aux fuel pump ( instantaneous peace and harmony will ensue at this point ) you may then select any other light aircraft (so equipped) without this particular annoying sound re-occurring, if however you need the aux fuel pump running for (flight phase) then be sure to switch it off when nolonger needed or after landing/parking.

(Incidentally this sound should / will not be heard in any scenario (scenery / airport) if you select a "Jet Aircraft" or "Helo", even if you have left the aux fuel pump on in the light aircraft equipped with aux fuel pump).

Jeff, Thank you again for your help.

I've listened to the fuel pump sound and it's not that.

Switching off the Birds sounds in the panel makes it disappear. I'll start FSX to check that again.

EDIT: It indeed is gone when the birds are checked off as per screenshot above.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

No, the "fuel pump" sound could be Kevin's mystery sound. The two sounds are completely different according to the description.  Your sound is definitely a Jackhammer, I've listened to all the bird sound files and there does not seem to be even a hint of a Jackhammer in the background, as to why it ceases when you switch off bird sound in the Cushmans/BearGulch ControlPanel I have no idea. Did you try the silent version of ORBX_PF2_Jackhammer.wav

I was just theorising in my post above, with regard to Kevin's mystery sound, that it might something he could look into.   

Archived