Has Cessnock got the length?

gibo

Early December 1942, a small number of B25 Medium Bombers took off from US aircraft carrier and bombed Tokyo. The aircraft weren't design to take off from a carrier. The damage wasn't much, but the Americans wanted to prove a point. That the Japanese mainland was not invincible. The aircraft flew on to mainland China as landing back on deck was not possible.

Here is a B25 taking off from Cessnock. Cessnock was an RAAF base during WW2 but I'm not sure what aircraft were based there. B25's were based in Australia and the Pacific during the war and it is possible at least one took off from Cessnock?

Here is a short video of this great aircraft. I hope they haven't got any cases of wine on board to lengthen the T/O run!

Thanks for the info Fly Guy. Especially the extra runway length. I read where the B52 undercarriage swivelled so that the aircraft could take off with the wheels aligned with the runway and the wings more directly into the wind if there was a crosswind.

I should have added that the Carrier would have been about 30kts into the wind which from the real video of takeoff was substantial giving maybe 50kts IAS whilst stationary on the deck.

Great Aircraft....where can I get it?

Hi,

The aircraft is available from here http://www.maam.org/

All proceeds from the sale of this and a few other greeat aircraft go to restorations in the museum. Lots of free downloads here too. The aircraft is FS9 native with a patch available for FSX. Great aircraft and good cause.

Cheers,

Norm

Archived