Fatal Error FSX Startup

Biscuit Chucker

Hi everyone..

Scratching my head here.. I had used FSX/FTX earlier yesterday morning with no problems, proper shutdown etc.. Later the same afternoon FSX wouldn't progress passed the splash screen-'not responding' then a 'fatal error' message. Using Task Manager would also indicate a 'not responding'..

I initially tried the repair installation from the FSX  DVD with no luck.. Then tried uninstalling XGraphics,FEX etc, no luck. Finally tried a Vista repair point thinking that might help but no luck..

Too late for a rescue, I've already opted for a clean install, however I am just wondering what may possibly lead to a 'fatal error' situation?!

Vista 64 Ultimate.

FSX,FTX,Xgraphics,FEX,Active Sky X, nHancer.

Thanks for any info.

BC

Sounds like you have a corrupt logbook.bin file.  Try renaming the orginal logbook.bin to logbook.old and try restarting FSX.  If that works, we'll talk about how to repair your exsisting logbook next.

If your running XP its here:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

If your running Vista its here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

Thanks Sargeski, I kept a backup of my logbook before uninstalling FSX, so once I've reinstalled everything I will try replacing the logbook and see if I get the same problem..

Thanks again, fingers crossed. I am already breaking out in a rash from FTX deficiency. ;)

Ok, all reinstalled, only to find the same problem all over! Followed your advice Sargeski and worked a dream. Would be great if you can rescue my old logbook, not much there but I was beginning to rack up some hours finally..

Once again any help appreciated..

Head over to AVSIM and search for the following files fsxlogrecovery11.zip and logbookedit-0411062225.zip

Unzip the files to the same directory that your logbook file resides.

Navigate to the directory that contains the your logbook and rename your logbook file from logbook.old to logbook.bin

Run FSXLog.exe, choose Analyze (it should find some errors during analysis).  After the analysis is done choose Recover.  Your logbook should now be fixed.

The second program "logbookedit" is very handy for making edits to the logbook and I highly recommend it. The first program "fsxlogrecovery11" is a must have for any serious simmer.  The logbook has been a soruce of headaches for sometime.  The logbookrecovery tool in most instances will crush those headaches.  ;)

Archived