Attention John V

Guest boeingqa

Guest boeingqa

John, any help on this would be great or anyone else..

l have an i7 920 clocked at 4GHz but my 1600 triple trannel memory is stuck at 1200

how can l change to 1600 or more but leave the 4GHz stable

l have a 850watt true power PS antec, with an i7 and 6 gig 1600 memory and a gigabyte ex58-ud5 MB

l have tryed to change it to 1600 but it doesnt want to boot to windows.

Please any help on this would be great

Thx John or guys

Paul

I am no OC expert. My i7 920 ("Uber2") took my local system builder a month to get stable at 4.2 and 1600 memory. That invloved two different mobos, 3 brands of RAM, and about 15 Win7 reinstalls for them.

A week after taking delivery, the PC then had a brain fart and dropped to defaults in the BIOS. I then followed the Gigabyte OC guide and got it back to 4.0Ghz but memory (like you) was stuck at 1200.

So I put Uber2 in my car and drove it back to my system builder and their OC guru tapped his magic fingers across various voltage values and presto, it was back stable at 1600.

I now just run it at 4.0ghz / 1600 so as to not tempt fate.

So I will defer to OC experts on this one, sorry mate :(

Sorry to but in here, but John, are you saying that your RAM is at the stock setting of 1600 and you just OC'd the CPU to 4.00Ghz?

I wasn't aware that you could do that. I was under the impression you had to do both, which I tried a few times (unsuccessfully) and was pissing my pants that I would cook something, so put it all back to default until I learned more about it.

Frank

Guest boeingqa

l have mine at 4GHz but my ram stays at 1200 and not the stock 1600... l dont know what to do its hard hehehe

Thx

Paul

You are right, Heiko.

The mobo BIOS is different in most boards, so I guess it makes sense to look up the manufacturers site and get the info from there according to the BIOS you have installed.

I guess I'm just getting lazy as the years go by and hoping there's a short cut somewhere.

Frank

Well irrespective of O/C ing issues if your memory is not rated at 1600 then you are really running the risk of system instability by doing so.

FSB speed is different to Memory speed and this is of course different and independent but related to the Core clock speed and it's multiplier.

I still fail to see why O/C ing is necessary on PC's that supposedly are far superior to mine and yet my performance is comparable.

If you set your FSB clock at 400MHz and your CPU clock multiplier is say 9 then your CPU will run at 9x400 = 3600MHz however, your memory speed is always 2x clock multiplier which in this case will be 2x400 = 800MHz.

If you want to play with FSB speeds greater than 400MHz then you will need RAM that will run stably at speeds greater than 800MHz.

The new i7 processors are a different animal since they now use an on chip Memory controller called Quick Path Interconnect so that overclocking requires a different procedure of which I am as yet unfamiliar.

Info on this can be found on TomsHardware.com and AnandTech.com

Here is a start:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-core-i7,2063.html

Bernie

Sorry to but in here, but John, are you saying that your RAM is at the stock setting of 1600 and you just OC'd the CPU to 4.00Ghz?

I wasn't aware that you could do that. I was under the impression you had to do both, which I tried a few times (unsuccessfully) and was pissing my pants that I would cook something, so put it all back to default until I learned more about it.

Frank

This is the i7 CPU series, which uses a different approach to OC'ing than the Core2 chips/chipsets. Again, I will defer to the experts here, but all I know is that my system builder has followed the Gigabyte recommended BIOS settings and my CPU is at 4.0Ghz and memory at 1600. Don't ask my why that works well, but it's rock solid and stable now.

Hey Paul, are you using a gigabyte motherboard ? because in your advanced DRAM features, you my need to enable the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) which is probably set to Disabled and you need to set it to Profile 1. XMP Profile 1:

1600MHz 8-8-8-24 1.65. All the info should be in your motherboard user's manual. Hope it's a help Goobs

Archived