Help !! :)

Aceshigh

It seems I have a new computer problem..

The last few flights in FTX have all ended in about 30 minutes due to a odd memory problem ?

The aircraft instrument panel textures go black and wont come back, then my FTX textures start going black in large squares.

I have seen strange graphic spikes going from the ground into the sky.

Like flying through a forest of bamboo.

If I try and take a screenshot with the V key I get an error the system cannot do it at this time.

Then frame rates drop to a slide show.

Followed by FSX not responding, I have to close it through the task manager.

So my question would be is my video card memory running out?

or my system memory running out or is the CPU huffing and puffing?

All was working fine a few days ago..  ?

I'm not having a good year.   LOL

oh dear..   any help greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Mark.

E8500  3.16

4gb 800mhz ram  5-5-5-15 timings.

9800GTX + with 512 mb ram.

300GB Raptor drive.

Creative Xfi gamer.

Thermaltake 750watt power.

Vista Home premium.

There are a few things you can try to identify the issue.

1. Take out all the RAM and download memtest86+ and use that to test each stick of RAM one by one. You cannot test them all at once as if one is faulty, which one is it? So one at a time only. Normally you can download memtest86+ as an ISO built CD to save time and test that way.

2. Try a secondary video card if the RAM is ok. See if you have a mate who can lend you one to see if that resolves the issue. Give it back of course when your done.

Make sure also that the RAM you are using the voltages (normally most standard RAM is 1.8V) however my current RAM runs at 2.4V recommended by manufacturer.

A quick test with the RAM would be to boot one at a time and see if one gives you more problems than the others. Not sure if you have 2x2gb or 4x1gb...but then still run the memtest86+ to ensure you have worked out the issue.

If the RAM has a lifetime warranty, and they are a matched set, ensure that you RMA the whole lot and get another matched set back, don't just take back the stuffed stick. Get a whole new set.

I have a similar thing happen to my pc and have been just putting it down to not have enough ram, 4 @ 1g = 4g kingston 400 mHz PC3200 but thats the maxs that I my old best will take. This is a guide that I found on using memtest86+ found it very helpful http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=409152 I am going to run some tests on my ram just to see what is causing the problem I get, it's no fun flying when it's like this.  :-\

I have seen same black lines running from ground to sky in LA using UTX USA, it seemed to be due to video memory overload, reducing setting for road traffic and changing from very dense to dense worked.

I then made a change to fsx config to following area's :

[bufferPools]

PoolSize=300000000

also altered the density of autogen

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1700

I am running 8800 GTX with 768 memory, have not had problem since and was able turn autogen back up

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX.0]

Mode=1680x1050x32

driver 8.15.11.8618

Not certain if these setting will help would suggest backing up fsx.cfg, making changes one at a time and testing in Fsx to see if it improves situation

Good luck

I just checked my CPU temp and it's fine, although I will need to check it under load or as the problem shows itself again.

I know somthing is gone bad as my FSX, FTX settings have not changed for some time. 

All these long months I have had good frame rates and smooth flights.

Off to try again and check my temps if or when the problem shows back up.

thanks,

Mark

I did a remote admin on a system the other afternoon with very similar symptoms as you describe and the GPU was at 70 Deg on the desktop  FARK  took the side off to check Airflow and boom the temp dropped to 45-50 and FSX was working again fine and dandy.

NEVER overlook the importance of GOOD airflow both in and out of you PC NEVER

Archived