FTX Germany, some suggestions, one issue

Matze

I just did a first 2-hour roundtrip above the area I live in ('Sauerland' region, roughly between EDLA, EDKO and EDKR). I am quite impressed how much the scenery was further improved from the already very good global coverage.

Here some items I came across, which you might (or might not) consider worthy for an update:

Scenery:

-The dam at the Oester has not yet been modeled.. a small one, but just wanted to report. Maybe a generic model would be fully sufficient.  51° 9.979'N   7° 49.219'E

-2 quite significant landmarks are missing ('twin' TV towers) at  51° 8.887'N;  7° 45.372'E /  51° 8.788'N   7° 46.397'E

Though they are just outside the marked coverage, they provide an important landmark. Hopefully they will be included in the southern part, just wanted to draw your attention to them.

-The core city of Altena is nearly non-existent, maybe you could have a closer look at this one:  51° 18.023'N  7° 40.266'E

The city and its surroundings are streched inside close valleys, which makes it rather special and easy to identify, but might need some good tweaking.

-Altena also has a castle, which is not represented so far:  51° 17.977'N  7° 40.502'E

-Near Willingen there should be a small lake (which is rudimentary there) and a rather big TV tower at the 'Ettelsberg', which is not there:  51° 16.702'N  8° 35.979'E

-The Diemelsee has no dam:  51° 22.672'N  8° 43.666'E

-During dawn I could not se any warning lights on top of TV towers or windmills.

Airports:

Generally, I was quite surprised to see that the airports, especially the airfields were enhanced really realisticly!

-EDKW: My home airfield;

-Big issue first: While the representation with the sloped runway is very well done, there is a major bump approximately abeam the smaller hangar, which throws you into the air (literally) and makes realistic takeoffs and landings impossible (5m mesh).

Funny thing is, in reality there indeed is such a bump, however only a slight one approximately abeam the windsock ;)

26824113lv.jpg

-If you could remove the small building and replace it with the 'tower' building from EDKD, this airport would look quite well. The windsock would need another position too:  51° 17.781'N  7° 49.055'E is where it's at. Then move the signalling park and the fuel station so that it won't block the hangar.. e voila.

-Main sailplane hangar is the lower hangar on the other side of the runway; you would see sailplanes there. The hangars on the pictures are mostly used for SEPs; 182, PA28, UL, etc.

The apron in front of the hangars are usually kept clear and props are usually parked east of the parking lot.

-There is grass tile on the apron 'landclass'/ texture.

-EDLA: Quite well done regarding the hangars, but really wrong on other aspects. I made a freeware scenery (not uploaded yet) of this airport using FSX stock material, however the AFCAD, taxiway width/ markings and positions as well as the building positions and sizes are fully correct in there. If you would like to use it as a base to make EDLA look more realistic, just contact me (I don't want anything for it). Basically said, IRL there is no helipad, and where you have aircraft parked in front of the terminal is a restaurant's terrasse ;)

-Grass airfields general: You put in runway begin and end signs (Landereiter in german..), however none alongside the runway edges. This would be a major improvement to every grass field, as in some cases you just don't have an idea if you are still on centerline or going across the field. A yellow 1/2 sign in the middle of the runway, plus single red/white (additional to the double red/white end signs already there) signs would be the correct and commonly used signage on grass runways here in Germany.

After all, I could recommend to make a EDKW/ EDLA addon (just like Jena/ Weimar); both are beautiful airports. EDLA is capable of accepting biz jets and is used by the local industry for business flights; EDKW is quite challenging due to its sloped runway and rather unique when you taxi down the hill to the sailplane hangar. The surroundings with the Lenne river valley are very scenic. Just an idea ;)

After all, take his as suggestions only (except for this major bump in the runway) to an already very good product.

Regards

Matthias

Archived