Grand Canyon Thermals - Motorgliding with Capt. Coffee

Captain Coffee

A spin or two or three...lost count actually...over the Grand Canyon in Aerosoft's ASK-21Mi Motorglider.

Booming Thermals, some aerobatics, and stunning ORBx Base and Global views of the Grand Canyon.

Michael Oldfield's "Hergest Ridge, pt.1" accompanies.

It's a bit on the long side for me...i usually prefer to make stuff in the 5 minute range, this went to 20+ minutes (hence the M.Oldfield tune fitting :D ). Hope you have the time to watch it.

Cheers, Hope you enjoy.

Coff.

Wow .... now to do that in such a glider would really be cool!  A fold up engine, 2 passenger and silence.  Well ... except for a little soothing music.  Thanks, I learned something today.  And what a view. I saw about the same view once in the past when Flight Service directed me in because I was lost .... chagrin, chagrin.  Had .8 gallon left when I refueled at Grand Canyon. Pretty dumb ...but pretty young!

21 hours ago, jlindblo said:

Had .8 gallon left when I refueled at Grand Canyon. Pretty dumb ...but pretty young!

Thanks for watching, glad you enjoyed. Regading above...I'd claim that landing with .8 gallons was due to Masterful efficient fuel planning. :P Kudos on surviving! Over the Grand Canyon would be a lousy place to run out of gas.

3 hours ago, Captain Coffee said:

Thanks for watching, glad you enjoyed. Regading above...I'd claim that landing with .8 gallons was due to Masterful efficient fuel planning. :P Kudos on surviving! Over the Grand Canyon would be a lousy place to run out of gas.

I agree .....  I had taken my 1955 Piper Tri-Pacer down into the canyon just enjoying scenery heading south until the canyon walls started closing in. Did an immediate 180.  What is fuel planning ??  :o

Archived