Ran out of VAS last night

sidfadc

I'm using FSX SE with DX10 fixer and never had an OOM before under a variety of conditions and payware aircraft like the PMDG 737.  I had a couple OOMs under DX9 but one of the benefits of going to DX10 was the more efficient memory management.  Last night I flew from KPHL down to KRDU, about a 2 hour 15 flight.  To my dismay coming onto final approach I was getting VAS warnings from my LINDA console.  It was a series of audible beeps, at first I couldn't work out what was pinging away.  The sim crashed on finals.  I was flying the A2A Comanche with AS16 + Cloud Art + Global/Vector etc.  I have a freeware KPHL and payware KRDU.  I have moderate sliders to the middle-ish. 

So in my mind OpenLC USA has increased the VAS footprint because I have never had an OOM flying around the USA before.  Apart from all the usual gubbins to reduce the VAS footprint is there anything ORBX can do via a service patch?

I can also confirm at least a 300 mb VAS increase, but haven't had an OOM yet.

But in my case I'm not sure it is due to to OLC NA since I did the migration just prior to installing OLC NA and noticed the VAS issue in my test flights.

I measure VAS using my own memory monitoring app. In P3D never had a flight hitting above 3.5 GB memory usage )

Cheers

I'm using FSX Gold and just updated my GPU drivers but still have FSX crashed. Everything works fine when OPENLC NA is desactivated.

My question is: how do you find out it is a VAS problem? is there a tool or is it from Stream?

PS done ORBX recommanded settings and installation as per instruction file provided

Thanks

FSS0506449

15 minutes ago, Michel B. said:

I'm using FSX Gold and just updated my GPU drivers but still have FSX crashed. Everything works fine when OPENLC NA is desactivated.

My question is: how do you find out it is a VAS problem? is there a tool or is it from Stream?

PS done ORBX recommanded settings and installation as per instruction file provided

Thanks

FSS0506449

Hi Michel

You might want to try this nice little freeware VAS monitoring tool:

http://spilfred.com/VASMonitor/publish.htm

Works a charm and can view VAS readings whilst in flight etc.

Regards

Steve

14 hours ago, Michel B. said:

I re-installed FTX Global Base and OpenLC NA, and everthing looks to work fine so far.

didn't seem to be a VAS problem for me

Cheers

Flying with FTX alone will probably not cause an OOM, it's the combination of addons+airplane.

Ok im now a little disappointed with this.  Just ran out of VAS again flying from FSDT KLAX to SFO, this time in the PMDG 737 NGX.  This was a test flight with two heavy airports and the NGX to monitor VAS usage.  Now bear in mind before the NA LC upgrade I have flew this route countless times and never ran out of VAS.  To be honest I never even monitored my VAS usage until my first OOM described in my initial post here because it was never an issue.  If indeed the LC upgrade has a VAS footprintof 400MB then this has put me on the brink.  I dont want to go down the route of having to fiddle with my scenery library every time I want to complete a flight.

So right now Im a little worried the LC upgrade has pushed me over the edge.

I would like to hear from others if they have ran into similar issues?

Thanks

I can't use any of my nice add on aircraft to fly the same routes I've flown countless times as well, I have to use the crappy stock aircraft.  I really liked my Carenado Seneca V, but forget about it now, it uses up any VAS I had to spare.  I can never complete a flight with the Seneca V, it goes pretty good until the final airport loads in just before landing,  then I'm out of VAS and I'm done.  I can use the stock Baron 58, and it pushes it to the limit, but I can complete a flight.  I want to stress, that I haven't changed anything on my system, and that I've flown these same old flight plans in the past, before the upgrade, with no problems.  I'm using P3D v 2.5 FYI.

Ok more testing, last night I flew the KLAX - KSFO route but disabled all my FTX NA regions in the scenery library.  I took off from KLAX with 1.6 GB remaining and parked at the gate with 1GB remaining, success.  Previously I had all regions active and took off with just less than 1GB, landed with about 300MB remaining and ran out of memory during the taxi.

my settings in the NGX....

Autogen sparse

Scenery complexity very dense

No traffic

20% aircraft AI

Texture resolution 60 CM

LOD 4.5

Texture max load 2048 in fsx.cfg

AS16 with 1024 DXT textures

Not at my PC now but can post some more screens if it helps.

I'm using FSX SE with Steve DX10 fixer.

I will say it again though, before the LC upgrade I have flown this route a million times and never had to deactivate anything in my scenery library.  So unless I can get an official response from Orbx I will have to fiddle with my library, thank god I have Simstarter NG so I can setup custom profiles to speed things up.

Thanks

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:50 AM, sidfadc said:

Ok im now a little disappointed with this.  Just ran out of VAS again flying from FSDT KLAX to SFO, this time in the PMDG 737 NGX.  This was a test flight with two heavy airports and the NGX to monitor VAS usage.  Now bear in mind before the NA LC upgrade I have flew this route countless times and never ran out of VAS.  To be honest I never even monitored my VAS usage until my first OOM described in my initial post here because it was never an issue.  If indeed the LC upgrade has a VAS footprintof 400MB then this has put me on the brink.  I dont want to go down the route of having to fiddle with my scenery library every time I want to complete a flight.

So right now Im a little worried the LC upgrade has pushed me over the edge.

I would like to hear from others if they have ran into similar issues?

Thanks

I'm wondering if the lights are causing this.  I would try disabling only the OpenLC lights in the scenery library and see what effect that has.  I have not tested the VAS effect of them yet but they are giving me strange hesitations on final approach to airports (default airports) during both day and night.  When I uncheck the lights, everything is back to normal.  I'm using P3Dv3...

Hi all,

Just did a test in P3D v3.3.5 using the default Beech Baron at KVES, parking #1 KVES is a stock airport. FSUIPC was used to monitor VAS. Only scenery I played with were the two OpenLC North America scenery library entries and three default North American regions (Central, East and West.)

In all three cases I rebooted and then started P3D from a saved flight at KVES. Waited approximately 2 minutes without touching anything and to make sure the AI traffic loaded (MyTraffic6) before reading the VAS monitor. Time for each flight was set to 9:17AM local.

1. two OpenLC North America and three default North American regions (Central, East and West) = Active. VAS = 2.254 GB

2. two OpenLC North America = Active, three default North American regions (Central, East and West) = Inactive. VAS = 2.268 GB

3. two OpenLC North America = Inactive, three default North American regions (Central, East and West) = Active. VAS = 2.246 GB

Differences are tiny but after reading this thread I expected OpenLC NA (#2 above) to show the least amount of VAS at startup. It had the most  And using just the three default North American regions (#3 above) gave me the least amount of VAS at startup.

This was a simple, uncomplicated test and I don't fly this way. But including TrackIR, Active Sky Next, FlightSim Commander and whatever else I usually have runing only adds variables I might not be able to control from #1 to #2 to #3 so I left them out.

In conclusion, I see an increase in VAS at startup when just using OpenLC NA. I don't see the decrease others reported

Archived