P3D v3/OpenLC NA: home airport wrong textures

hamoody

The title may sound a bit like I'm splitting hairs expecting OpenLC NA to make everything exactly as it is in real life, but I understand that there are limitations in the sim, and that naturally I'll be more nitpicky with an area I'm familiar with. However, the area around my home airport, KSAW in Marquette/Gwinn Michigan is totally wrong, displaying farmland and towns/suburbs instead of trees and woods. I actually bought OpenLC NA hoping that it would fix this problem that I was having with Global/Vector, but it did not. Anyway, here are some screenshots:

This is what the airport looks like in P3D v3.3.5 with FTX Global, FTX Vector, and OpenLC NA with the latest versions of each and the latest ORBX Libs. 

gVVM9aN.png

Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture in P3D v3 before installing OpenLC, but here is an older one I took in P3D v2 with ONLY FTX Global and Vector installed. However, this is just what it looked like yesterday in P3D v3 before I installed OpenLC NA. This picture was taken in September (hence the fall colors), but overall you can still see farms and towns.

Uffohkd.png

Here is what the area looks like from a satellite view. Unfortunately I could not find a good picture on approach to Runway 1 from the same angle as I took the in-sim shots.

VYjWd2f.png

This is the best I could find- a screenshot from a video. It's blurry and low quality, but you can clearly see that the surrounding area should be woods and trees, not farmland. I'll be flying in the area later this week so maybe I'll be able to get a better picture then.

L5nLuqP.png

But here's the kicker... back when I still had FSX:SE installed (with FSX Global and Vector), the area looked much more true to life, with a forest on the approach end of Runway 1. For some reason, the default Land Class in P3D totally replaced this wooded area shown under the Trike with farms, and apparently so did OpenLC. 

dvjw5Ft.png

The above is the main reason why I think there's a problem- side-by-side, with the same terrain and texture addons installed, FSX looks more accurate than P3D, and OpenLC does not reverse that. Again, I want to make something clear: you guys at ORBX do some amazing work, but you can't be expected to sit down and analyze each and every town and area from every angle on a product that covers the entire world. If there's nothing that can be done about my issue, I understand, but I'm thinking that there's a possibility that some data has been misplaced or misinterpreted here. If it turns out that nothing can be done and a patch for this area won't find its way into the next OpenLC update, I'd love to know if there is a way for me to tweak the area myself. Thanks! 

Quick update: something definitely isn't right. Someone on a different forum posted this shot as part of a comparison post: ztnZpej.jpg

I tried replicating the shot (same coordinates and altitude, approximately the same zoom) and I see something very different. Look at all the strange pockets of houses I have, especially on the left side of the river bank, while in his shot it looks more like realistic farmland.

4hsCw16.png

Make sure in your scenery library you have OLC NA1 & OLC NA2.  I had an issue when I first installed, in which the installer only added NA1 to my scenery library and I had very similar issues to you.  It was almost as if OLC did nothing.  Make sure you have that and if not, you may have to manually add it.

12 minutes ago, KORDATC said:

Make sure in your scenery library you have OLC NA1 & OLC NA2.  I had an issue when I first installed, in which the installer only added NA1 to my scenery library and I had very similar issues to you.  It was almost as if OLC did nothing.  Make sure you have that and if not, you may have to manually add it.

Thanks! I'm glad there was a simple solution. I just added OLC NA2 and the difference is night and day- the area around my home airport is lush and green again and my test comparison matches the guy from the other forum. Hopefully ORBX will pin down and fix what appears to be an installer issue.

Archived