Pago Pago Scenery no Tau runway?

nz_kiwi

Hi guys,

As you can tell by the heading when I go to tau airport I end on a hill surrounded by trees. I checked this airport out and it appears that it was closed a while ago. Is there suppose to be a runway strip there in this flightsim version?

regards Tom 

flightsim store: FSS0490172

TAU AIRPORT.jpg

Hi Tom,

Tau Airport (HI36) was a 661x30m private airstrip made of compacted coral, dirt and grass, it existed up until the very early 1990s, it was a busy little airport in its day and being in a tricky location it had a number of accidents during its time, most notably:

1979 - Twinotter - Heavy landing caused plane to slide and crash into the trees. all OK

1984 - Twinotter - Elevator control cable snapped on final, causing the nose to rise suddenly, pilot steered it in using throttle and flap control, but ultimately collided with the terminal building and a vehicle. 1 fatality

1989 - Twinotter - Descended fast on final approach. Application of full power couldn't prevent the aircraft from impacting the ground short of the runway. all OK

Then sometime around 1993, the larger Fitiuta Airport (FAQ) was built on the other end of the island to replace it, Tau Airport was then closed and left to vanish back into the thick bush, that is how we modeled it.

XiwyMPb.jpg

Due to the way FSX works we are unable to remove an airport completely, we can remove it visually, but it will remain in the 'Go-to' menu.

Cheers

Tim

Archived