Carenado 525A Citation CJ12.

John York

Back again.

With your help I've got the auto pilot 'up and down' sorted nicely on the Carenado 525A Citation CJ12.

However, although I can turn the CRS knob I can't see what the damn thing registers, if anything i.e. where I'm turning it to or from!  I've got it tuned to Nav 2 which seems to be the default and got the frequency numbers in.

The result is, I have to land it manually which is no hardship really because the 'plane is a delight to fly, but in bad visibility it would be a no, no.

Please tell me, what am I missing now?

Then I'll get out of your hair.

John

PS - What were Carenado thinking in not providing a manual for this quite sophisticated aircraft?!

Hi John,

I do not have the CJ2, but the KingAir C90, and I guess there is the same Proline21 modeled. So I try to explain how it works in the C90, maybe ot works for you,too.

If I get you right, you do not follow a flightplan from FMS, you would like to set up a VOR or LOC manually. Here are the steps:

- select NAV source. On the left side of PFD press LSK2 (line select key) to toggle active NAV source to pre selected. The preselect is shown coloured in the small box beside LSK2. The active NAV source is shown in the middle of PFD on the left side, underneath the speed band.

- note:If FMS is selected (active) the course needle will not react if you change the course.

- there is one active source and one preselect for NAV source as well as for bearing source. If you need another one, e.g. You want to select a ADF, you may change it in the PFD setup (where you also setup up V Speeds etc.)

- to select other NAV source than shown as preselect, press NAV/BRG knob on the right side of PFD. You can pop up the PF- setup panel by pressing shift4. 

- you may also select other bearing source, press adjacent LSK on the right side of PFD, I guess it is also the second.

The selected source (the one you intend to change) will be highlighted in PFD by pressing the Adjacent LSK, you can select a value by rotate the source knob on the setup panel, i.e. Here you select as NAV source VOR1. Now, if you enter a valid VOR frequency, the name of the VOR and the selected course /bearing will be shown in your PFD, as well as DME if applcable. The course needle will also point to the selected course.

As I said above, this is the basic workflow in the KingAir, but I expect it will be the same in the CJ2.

I hope this is not too confusing, I'm not at the sim in the moment, it is all out of my head into the iPad... ;-)

cheers

Thorsten

Thanks Thorsten.

I think I've already followed most of the steps you mention but I'll have a look see what I'm missing perhaps.

John

Yep, that's done it.  Thanks again Thorsten.  I had neglected to  press LSK2.  Frankly didn't even realise it was there!

I've just completed an interesting flight from LIMJ Genoa Sestri to LFST Entzheim Strasburg.  This aircraft doesn't really have a glass cockpit so there's no decent GPS and therefore no proper way to determine when to change bearings on an IFR flight, so it means you have to rely on ATC all the way.

Also, when I changed to 'Approach' It was a bit of a shock to find that while the AP brought me round on to the course for the runway, it didn't actually control the altitude and I was very close to the tops of the hills before Strasburg runway 5 before the aircraft voice altitude warning made me realize I had to control the altitude if not the bearing!  Quite an adventure, but we landed very nicely in the end.

Still, I do know that some of the continental airports don't have altitude control as part of their ILS systems but I must say I was a bit surprised to find that was the case for Strasburg.  Perhaps they're trying to catch pilots out and get rid of the European Parliament!

I expect the next flight will establish if its the airport or the aircraft's landing system.  I'll fly somewhere where I know for certain the arrival airport has the correct altitude signals.

All the best.

John

1 hour ago, fltsimguy said:

Does the King Air C90 have a manual that more or less applies?

Hi Flightsimguy,

the manuals that came with the C90 are the same as those coming with the other aircraft, they should also come with the Citation according to carenado product page.

There is a manual for the Proline21 as well, but it describes the function more or less at a basic size.... I had a short look in, the rest was trial and error like John... ;-). But it describes the buttons and a very basic FMS flight plan creation.

What I can say, it is not very close to the real thing... But the Carenado plane are fun to fly nevertheless, they are real eye candy, easy to fly and they cover most of the needed functions. Nice stuff for relaxing flights without any necessity of error management, in my opinion it is worth the money.

I have the Malibu and the C90, both I had the pleasure to fly in the real world. And I think some more will follow some day.

3 hours ago, JohnY said:

Yep, that's done it.  Thanks again Thorsten.  I had neglected to  press LSK2.  Frankly didn't even realise it was there!

I've just completed an interesting flight from LIMJ Genoa Sestri to LFST Entzheim Strasburg.  This aircraft doesn't really have a glass cockpit so there's no decent GPS and therefore no proper way to determine when to change bearings on an IFR flight, so it means you have to rely on ATC all the way.

Also, when I changed to 'Approach' It was a bit of a shock to find that while the AP brought me round on to the course for the runway, it didn't actually control the altitude and I was very close to the tops of the hills before Strasburg runway 5 before the aircraft voice altitude warning made me realize I had to control the altitude if not the bearing!  Quite an adventure, but we landed very nicely in the end.

Still, I do know that some of the continental airports don't have altitude control as part of their ILS systems but I must say I was a bit surprised to find that was the case for Strasburg.  Perhaps they're trying to catch pilots out and get rid of the European Parliament!

I expect the next flight will establish if its the airport or the aircraft's landing system.  I'll fly somewhere where I know for certain the arrival airport has the correct altitude signals.

All the best.

John

Hi John, 

glad you made it so far... Strasbourg should have an ILS, in real world there is an ILS for both directions. Didn't try in the sim yet, next time I will check this.

To manage the ILS approach with the Carenado Proline21 is a bit tricky as I remember. I have to do a test flight next time with the C90 so I may tell you how to. All of my last flights with the King Air I did VFR since so much to explore in the ORBX world....

I will keep you posted.

BTW, I wonder why there are no manuals with the Citation. You are on P3D, right? Please check in your main P3D folder if there is a folder called Carenado, there should be a folder for each Carenado plane that contains several manuals.

cheers

Thorsten

Done that Thorsten.  There are specification pages but no actual manuals.

Since the aircraft turned on exactly the right course for the runway and started descending and with the altitude and VS lights off, I assumed the ILS had caught.  Unfortunately what it didn't take into account was the bloody great hill about ten miles out!  It was alright though because I pulled it up to get over.  When I let go it started to descend too steeply so I then used the joystick to maintain the correct glide slope down to the runway.

John

Archived