CAC8 - Ground Surface Hardened - CP setting

Hi Larry,

Many thanks for this magnificent playground, you have certainly spoiled us with CAC8.

However I am seeing a small problem in my FSX installation, where if I select the "Ground Surface Hardened" option in the CP to avoid vehicle traffic going underground, and then try to fly a Helicopter through the marina area at some locations my aircraft erupts into a mass of smoke and sparks.

I have Crash Detection switched off, there is no actual aircraft crash but the smoke & spark effect does cause dramatic FPS loss and stutter until the effect clears.

If I select the "No Ground Surface Hardening" option I can fly through without seeing similar smoke and sparks. Obviously with this setting the vehicles want to hide underground.

Could you check if this phenomenon exists in your setup FSX/P3D or if it is specific to my system, can you replicate this from my pictures.

822b6ec228840bc39909d0e9492c91cc.jpg

18124e04588e3a4316a456c06cf571c2.jpg

955f4669b0776c8022f4bbe8df1e3a36.jpg

b17c844c1b95c35ddebd5417a18acc98.jpg

7c348c75b93455aa33362254ea49ca7b.jpg

Hi Ziggy,

True, but P3D is the warning notice, I usually hover the mouse to see what the selection might do or effect it might have on the sim before randomly selecting. I did see that message when selecting the Hardened option, but since I'm running FSX it says nothing about Crash detection, although my crash detection is always switched off anyway. I naturally assumed that any ill effect was only P3D related to Crash detection for hardened surface of the main model.

d1dc43582ef0698a09b1db5aeb6584bd.jpg  af4cd8aaaaf2c54d9e47ffe63ab05b7b.jpg

Sorry Jeff, 

I had edited my post to say I was also using FSX but had not tried this option but I must not have hit my submit reply button:huh:

I'm just testing the area in my sim now with that option ticked to see if it does the same thing, will report back soon :)

Okay, just tested the same area with the Beaver         in FSX DX10 (boxed)

and the "Hardened surface" checked in the control panel and I am also getting the same result with the aircraft crashing in the same area

Really loving this scenery, what a beauty!! :)

Thanks for checking Greg ( Ziggy) looking forward to the results.

EDIT: What a strange Forum board we have, I posted this in anticipation of your test before your last reply and it appears below your previous post.

Thanks for checking, and confirmation of the effect. I guess it matters not FSX, FSX+DX10, P3D, I'll just select the No Hardened option for now until Larry has a chance to look into this, (but I suspect it is normal with the hardened option) though it would be good to see the Hardened option (Crash detection OFF as recommended) and no aircraft visual effects being displayed.

BTW I'm also loving every little pixel of this wonderful scenery.

Hi Jeff and Ziggy,

Somehow it looks the fix for this problem in the last 'RTM - C' did not make it into the installer. This problem was a huge headache with all the things you have noticed - a  showstopper. FSX was a particular problem. I just about gave up. In my latest RTM version the crash problem was solved using an amazing trick developed by Tore Stranden (with a huge thanks)  and all mention of ground surface hardening was removed from the CP and the User Guide. The ground surfaces are hardened, but the crash problem is gone.

I have confirmed that this fix is not part of this first release. [edited to add that the fault is entirely mine; the zip file I thought I updated did not in fact get updated.]

I hope you can live with this problem until the Service Pack including Area B is ready. I'm not sure when. If all else fails, don't fly over the downtown area. I'm so sorry the fix did not make it into the release.

Thankyou Larry,

I appreciate you taking a look, and apologise for highlighting a small issue in an otherwise beautiful scenery. (Please don't stress)

Its not really a showstopper, I have the "No Hardened" option selected for the moment, and am really enjoying your great scenery.  The extent of the problem is really just restricted to 3 points close to the buildings in my pictures and can easily be avoided if selecting the Hardened option by flying 100 or so meters from the marina and buildings. Incidentally once landed docking & marina access is not affected by the visual smoke/spark crash effect.

Looking forward to SP1 and area B.

Kind regards Jeff

Archived