Upgrading from GTX 280 to 285: worth it?

Naji

Which resolution do you use ? Have you bought the 280 already ? If so, cranking the 280 up with the EVGA precision tool (or similar) might be a cheaper option. Running 745/2700 over here with the 280 GTX - what is the 285 stock speed ?

If you didn't buy one yet, the 285 is of course not a wrong decision.

Hi, Heiko. I run at the LCD native resolution 1680*1050.

I've already had the 280 for about 8 months. It is very good so far, but was wondering whether the newer 285 is noticeably better or just about the same performance-wise.

I have no idea what is the EVGA precision tool. I'll google around for it and how to use it unless you can kindly direct me to a website.

Regards

Naji

If you already have the GTX 280 I wouldn't get the GTX 285 same cards really just higher clocks on the 285 and as Mango said use the EVGA precision tool to clock the GTX 280 and see it may even run at GTX 285 speeds.  Go here for the tool http://www.evga.com/precision/ all you have to do is register and then you can download it.

The 280 is Gigabyte.

Thank you both for the info and link. Ill have a look.

Naji

NB: I checked the site. So this tool only applies to EVGA cards. I'll see if Gigabyte has something similar :(

Hi

If you have the 280 you can also over clock it through the NVIDIA control panel in the "Performance"  "Device Settings" and then custom clock speeds. Seems to work well for me. Just a thought

Ken

In the Nvidia control panel, I can't see any function named "Performance". But then I wear eyeglasses :).

The driver is the latest loaded by Windows 7 64-bit, version 186.35.

Regards.

Naji

Hi

If you right click on your main screen you will see "Nvidia control panel" left click on this.

On the left hand side of the window under "Select a Task..." is "Performance" In a sub menu under this are 3 choices ,one of them is "Device Settings". In this you can make your GPU settings and save them.

I hope this helps

Ken

Archived