Changing graphic card process ...

Vonduck

Hi guys

I am just about to install my new GTX280OC but have forgotten the steps to take!  Been a while!

Do i need to uninstall my 8800GTS somehow and then install the new card ... it will use the same drivers i assume so was wondering if its  a simple matter of just plugging it in and way we go type of thing?

The other thing i was wondering was the graphic card entry in the FSX.cfg ... will the old card still be there or do i delete that entry manually if i find it..

Thanks for your advice!

Doug

if you change your Vidcard first thing to do is UNINSTALL the old one,

DELETE all vidcard drivers with DriverCleaner (wich is for free ;D ) and switch off the puter,

uninstall the old card and install the new card,

fire up windows and it will start telling you that it found new hardware,

do NOT let windows install the drivers, tell it that you have your own and point it to the installation disc of your vidcard.

You WILL get better result if you first change the card first and then  allow the PC to identify the hardware on boot up choosing CANCEL when asked if you want to install new driver's (*) . After the PC reboots with the default VGA driver's, REMOVE every Video driver from your system with Driver Cleaner (you will be surprised at the shit Driver cleaner can find) . this may require several reboots and then manual deletion of the Driver files from the Windows/System 32 Directory also (in some instances "Driver Cleaner" cannot delete them and the MUST be manually deleted) 

Then install the Driver's for the Card, excercise caution however, the latest greatest is NOT always the best.

* ( IMPORTANT :- NEVER allow Windows to automatically install or update driver's for ANYTHING )

Maurice and Wolter -thanks guys ... appreciate your replies on this ..

Looks like the card will arrive tomorrow now due to the great NZ post (NOT!!!!!!)

Ill do as instructed  and install the Driver that comes with the card first of all ... are drivers subjective to each system or have many found one particular driver is better?

Thanks guys

DOug

As I and I think Wolter have said on many occasions there are times drivers can be rather picky and somewhat machine specific.

A previous or later version can yield great rewards if the driver with the card doesn't play the game.

Archived