Processor compare i7 920 and Core 2 Duo E8600

Aus_atc

Hi

COuld someone please assist with advice on what processor I should be looking at for my new FSX box to be bought soon.

I have seen mixed feelings on which processor to go for:

i7 920  or the E8600

I DO NOT WANT TO OVERCLOCK THE PROCESSOR.

So from a textbook perspective it looks like the E8600 is the better bet as it has a clock speed of 3.33 GHz, while the i7 920 has a clock speed of 2.66 GHz

Is this too simplistic an approach ?

I believe that that FSX does not use Quad core anyway, is this correct.

I will be using the 285GTX graphics card.

Thanks

Ted

I can't comment on the i7 but am certainly very happy with my E8600 and GTX-260-OC (overclocked by Gigabyte) combination. The E8600 runs very comfortably at 4.0 Ghz.

John V and others swear by the i7 and have written a few threads about the results so I guess it really depends on what you can afford.

See here

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=11307.0

BTW If you are an ORBX customer you should place your order numbers in you signature to receive support.

Thanks for the replies.

Seems that the i7 920 is the way to go.

Mango, it seems that you are implying that increasing the clock speed is easy and not an issue if the BIOS supports it in such an accessible way ?

I am starting to get pricing for my new box, might need to ask a few more questions in the next few days.

Well yeah, it's like with everything - it's very easy when you know how... I was reading several test where they increased just the FSB with a stock cooler and reached 3.2 - 3.3 stable.

Do you build your PCs yourself ? Maybe you know a good store which can add a better CPU cooler and apply a mild overclock. The difference between 2.6 and 3.3 is very noticeable with FSX.

I was reading several test where they increased just the FSB with a stock cooler and reached 3.2 - 3.3 stable.

And I did exactly that, its true, sits at 3.3 completely stable on stock cooling

but after 4 days I put my aftermarket cooler on (CM V8) as I had bought it, so may as well use it

Edit:

oops OP not overclocking, then perhaps the E8600 is better to get more CPU,....but I had a E8400 OC'ed to 3.6 on stock...and I have to admit the i7 @stock is still better than that

Archived