Dear ORBX community and Support!

I have these ORBX Products:

Orbx - FTX: Global BASE
Orbx - FTX: Global VECTOR
Orbx - FTX: Global openLC Europe
Orbx - FTX: Global openLC North America - Alaska/Canada
Orbx - FTX: NA Blue Southern Alaska
Orbx - FTX: PI TAP Tapini Airport

I read that there are some mesh around and i would like to ask a few questions about them.

Which one is the best with orbx products?

PILOT'S - FS Global 2010 FTX Compatible:

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2648

FSX: Steam Edition - FS Global 2010:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/379551/

FS Global Ultimate - Europe, Africa (FSX/P3D):

http://www.fly2pilots.com/cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=9788913f-483d-48c5-bdfd-67c6fa3ee1db

Is "FS Global 2010 FTX Compatible" the same as "FSX: Steam Edition - FS Global 2010"?

If they are not the same would there be problems using ORBX Products with the FSX: Steam Edition - FS Global 2010?

Would it be better for quality to buy the FS Global Ultimate - Europe, Africa (FSX/P3D) (and others ultimate products to cover the whole world)?

So which one would be the best to get?

Are there any others which would be better?

Sorry for the lot of questions.

Thanks for reading and responding.

Hi Phrosperatus,

FTX Global was designed by developers using FS Global 2010 FTX Edition, so it's recommended by ORBX. But as FS Global Ultimate provides the latest and most accurate terrain/ mesh data, I chose this one for my sim. It has the most recent data from 2013 and higher detail than Global 2010, which however can be seen only at some places and when flying clsoe to the ground.

FS Global Ultimate Bundle (not 2010) takes 101 GB, when you install all three packages. But you may buy only one or two packs depending on where you plan to fly most of your time. For example, if your flights are limited to the Americas then FS Global Ultimate Americas is actually the best there is. A division on two drives is possible in order to save space, e.g. install FSX/ P3D on C:. and FS Global on D:. My three packages are installed on E:, a 495 GB HDD, while P3D runs on F:, a 120 GB SSD.

Ultimate uses the latest available data from 2013 with the highest available resolution. That's why it's so much larger with its 121 GB than Global 2010 with only 25GB.

I bought Ultimate Bundle in winter 2014, because I wanted to see the most accurate elevation details wherever I'm flying. Many people say, they notice no difference between Ultimate and 2010, But that is, because when flying thousand meters above the ground it's hard to spot terrain details of 1 - 19 meters.

They make a huge difference concerning terrain so you'll see mountains, hills and valleys as they appear in reality. Additionally, openLC adds textures which make up the surface we see, like forests, deserts or fields. It doesn't depend on Mesh products like FS Global. Nonetheless, using all components (Mesh + FTX Global, Vector and openLC) delivers the most precise data available for flight simulation. Moreover, FTX Vector has been designed to place airports at their correct real world elevations. Therefore, without a suitable mesh addon pack you're going to get issues for many airports in mountainous areas.

Regions and airports themselves aren't affected by FS Global, because sceneries like KEKA come with their own precise mesh. However, the surrounding mountains outside of KEKA's coverage will look exactly as they appear in reality. But since the mountains in that area are quite round, it maybe difficult to see differences between default mesh and Global mesh when flying on high altitudes.

Some FTX Global freeware sceneries like LIDA Asiago depend on a mesh software for a correct rendition, while others don't need it but will look more realistic in surrounding areas.

I think that PILOT'S invested years of research and work on providing the most precise terrain data for flight simulation while using performance efficiently, like using less detail in flat areas where you wouldn't notice higher detail.

There is an increase in loading time when I start up P3D and when loading a new flight. It takes 2 minutes to start the sim and 1 - 2 minutes to load a flight. Without FS Global Ultimate both lasted only seconds. Nonetheless, performance and framerates aren't affected by the amount of data once the sim is running.

I hope this addresses your question, even though I'm not sure about the difference between PILOT'S - FS Global 2010 FTX Compatible and FSX: Steam Edition - FS Global 2010.

Greetings,

Bermuda

Dear Bermuda!

Thank you very much for your reply.

Is this the one you mentioned in your post?

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=article_detail&s_supplier_aid=12229&s_design=DEFAULT&shopfilter_category=flight%20simulation&s_language=english

Once you say yes im off to buy it. >.<

Is there anything else you recommend me to get related to Scenery?

My plan is to slowly buy the rest of the ORBX Regions 1 or 2 / month, then the small airports for vfr ga fun.

Thanks again. :)

I just ordered:

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=article_detail&s_supplier_aid=12229&s_design=DEFAULT&shopfilter_category=flight%20simulation&s_language=english

It's so interesting that it's just 50 euro instead of 120:

http://www.fly2pilots.com/cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=2d768af2-35f2-4107-8d22-5ddf9e193b47

on the right side of that webpage there is a bundle for 120 euro.

Do you think there is a difference between the 50 euro and the 120 euro version?

Hi again,

sorry for the quite late reply. Your oder is 100% correct. There is NO difference between the 50 euro and 120 euro packages. Many vendors including Aerosoft reduced the price, because PILOT'S decided to stop the production of their boxed Ultimate bundle.

If you use P3D V3, you need this installer to install the product:

http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=f414426b-3149-4102-a422-c812f1bbcb10

Otherwise, in FSX just insert the discs. Hopefully, FSX Steam follows this order as well.

The scenery you have so far is perfect. I can recommend buying openLC USA as soon as it's released in June. Since all FTX products are great, just choose what you like.

Greetings!

Hey Bermuda! :)

Thanks for the headsup.

The FS Global Ultimate Bundle from Aerosoft is on it's way! :)

I looked up after reading your post and I noted that John made a thread about Open LC USA : 

This is so cool.

Can't wait to buy it when it comes out and what's even better it'll be with a discount!

Life is good! :D 

• 5 weeks later...

Archived