GTX 285 help

Guest boeingqa

Guest boeingqa

guys looking at getting a gtx 285, but l have found the gigabyte 285 has gone but the gigabyte 285 2 gig is avil but l find it too expensive.

l have how ever found a gainwood 285 1 gig, are these any good?

Thx guys

Paul

Guest boeingqa

Nah but l have seen it for $570... l can get the gainwood or gigabyte for around $470. Or is it worth the extra for the evga?

thx

Paul

The 285GTX 2Gb was mentioned earlier.

I'm looking at the Gigabyte OC'd 2gb one. Has anybody any thoughts on this?

Anybody had any bad experiences with this card? I know it's only new, but maybe someone has lashed out.

Thanx in advance,

Frank

Did someone mention that the 2gb wasn't too good for FSX???

Yeah,

I knew that Wolter (having been down that path a few times) but I thought the clock speed was faster and it might be that little bit better for FSX.

I've been mulling it over and did some research on the net last night.

I'm still a little undecided, maybe I'll just hang on and wait for the 300 series. They must be coming along soon,

Thanx anyway,

Frank

From what i have read the 300 series are due late 09 or Q1 2010 but again thats all based on speculation. I was going to wait too but the temptation of the GTX 275 price at under $300 was to hard to pass by. I have it running at exceptional clocks from standard 633Mhz Core 1406 Shaders 1134Mhz Mem to 750Mhz Core 1600Mhz Shaders and 1266Mhz memory fully tested with no artifacts.

Guest boeingqa

Oh well l stuffed up, l bought the GTX285 2 gig.. Oh well should be ok till the new ones come out.

Thx guys

Paul

Oh well l stuffed up, l bought the GTX285 2 gig.. Oh well should be ok till the new ones come out.

Keep in mind that the 2GB version of this card is slower than its 1GB equivalent. They have not been able to get the 2GB memory to clock as high as the 1GB versions.

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1406 BIOS)

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT

Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-6-5-18-1N)

EVGA GTX 285 FTW (190.38)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows Vista 64/SP2

WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs

WD VelociRaptor 150GB - XP Pro 64 Bit Edition/SP2

PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W

LIAN LI PC-A70B

ASUS Rampage Extreme (BIOS 1201)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme

Mushkin XP3-12800 Ascent 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

ATI 4870X2 (Catalyst 9.6)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 64-bit RC

SILVERSTONE 1200Watt DA

SILVERSTONE TJ09-B

Nah but l have seen it for $570... l can get the gainwood or gigabyte for around $470. Or is it worth the extra for the evga?

thx

Paul

Why do you think these obscure brands are cheaper? Because usualy they're no bloody good.

I have the EVGA 285 1 gig, at the moment and it is extra good. I'm waiting for their 2 gig one that I hope is even better. It should be here tomorrow

Guest boeingqa

jgruschow,

relax its a forum.. l wanted to know why evga were a little bit more than the others. l only asked if it was worth

paying the extra. Just because they are cheaper doesnt mean there no good. l have never had a problem with gigabyte, but

everytime l looked for a gtx285 it was sold out. but l did find the gtx 285 2 gig. when l looked for the evga it was all sold out

too.

Paul

I'm affraid that it's not going to bring you much joy Jack, as said before the 2 Gig 285 is in fact two 285's bolted into one card and running in SLI mode, so again windows will only see one half of it :(

The gtx 285 2GB EVGA and Gigabyte cards are not duel cards running in SLI mode.

They are true single 285GTX chip cards with 2GB ram , unlike the 9800GX2 and newer GTX295

which are duel chip cards with SLI setup and sharing the available total vga ram

The Asus ROG MARS Limited Edition is the only duel GTX285 card on the market.

Kobus

I'm affraid that it's not going to bring you much joy Jack, as said before the 2 Gig 285 is in fact two 285's bolted into one card and running in SLI mode, so again windows will only see one half of it :(

I’m not sure where you getting your information from but the 2GB version of the GTX 285 is not a dual GPU card.

It sounds like you’re getting the 2GB version of the GTX 285 mixed up with the GTX 295 which is two GTX 260’s sandwiched together.

By the way it’s got nothing to do with whether ‘Windows†see’s two GPU’s the game/sim is one that has to utilize it.

I'm afraid you are wrong there Wolter. I've got the 2 gig card in front of me now. Just the single card. But it looks very wide because of the casing around it.

Performance: Will let you know when I install it.

One funny thing. The 1 gig card cost about $NZ 940.  The 2gig card was $870

But it looks very wide because of the casing around it.

Performance: Will let you know when I install it.

One funny thing. The 1 gig card cost about $NZ 940.  The 2gig card was $870

The dimensions on heat sink are no different between the 1GB version and the 2GB card as far as EVGA’s are concerned.

They also might be charging more for the 1GB version because of the slight performance increase due to the higher clocked memory on the 1GB card.

Guest boeingqa

Guys thanks for that, l thought it only applied to the 295.. l have the 285 2 gig because l couldnt get the 1 gig... oh well might tie me over till the new ones come out...

again Thx

Paul

I also bit the bullet and ordered the 285GTX OC (at a very good price!)but when I went to pick it up, they said they didn't have any.

My friend is the manager, so I spoke to him and they apologised and gave me a 295GTX 2gb.

That's gotta be a good deal, hasn't it?

I installed it and I'm still playing around setting it up (gotta load latest drivers and defrag), but I gotta say that I expected more. I keep thinking that paying out wads of cash for vid cards is gonna yield great in-game graphics, but it seems the gains are small.

I suppose I might have to look at OC'ing the CPU to meet my expectations,

Frank

I am not 100% sure, so please correct me if i am wrong. You might see much higher performance with the single 285 against the 295. Like mentioned the 295 is two medi core GPUs welded together. And that's SLI tech on a single slot. If you can utilize only one 260 for FSX it will run like cr... bad.

I am very curious if you can crank up bufferpools with those 2 GB cards  ;D.

I am very curious if you can crank up bufferpools with those 2 GB cards  ;D.

Been there done that before I RMA-ed the 2GB GTX 285 FTW, it was the only reason why I tried the 2GB version of the GTX 285 and it did nothing for FSX performance or any of my other games/sims for that matter.

As I said earlier I sent it back to Newegg for the 1GB GTX 285 FTW after I started getting the “loss of video/black screen†issue that is mentioned at great length over in the EVGA forums.

Hi Frank

Nice on the GTX 295 still would have been better on a 285 GTX for FSX but let us know how it goes but as for other games it will blitz. The GTX 295 is basically 2 x GTX 275 as they both have 240 Shader Units and 28 ROPS just clocked lower than a GTX 275. But you are right you should push your i7 further to really take advantage of the GTX 295 good luck and keep us posted on your results with FSX.

So, ok, Heiko, what would you suggest to try running buffer pools at?

I'd like to give it a try. I think I currently got it at 300mb.

Frank

I have no idea,sorry. I run my 1 GB 280 GTX with 400 MB. I would increase in 100 steps until the artifacts show up and then reduce 50 for a more thorough test. Did i mention that you do this on your own risk ...  ;)

Thanx Heiko.

Do this at what risk?

I'll give it a try at 400 and see if it makes a difference.

I also found out that both my Vista drive and my Win 7 drive were badly fragmented and I'm gonna do both tonight, so should see some improvements from there, I hope.

Many thanx for all of the info,

Frank

Archived