Grumman Goose steering 0n water

John York

I know we had quite a topic going about this but I'm damned if I can find it now.

The problem was the lack of water rudders (as the proper Grumman doesn't have them) and the difficulties of steering on water with the engines.  Well, I've just bought a new joystick and wonder of wonders, it comes with a dual throttle so you can use the two leavers separately for dual engine aircraft or by pressing a button, lock them togther for single engine 'planes.

I haven't tried it yet for the sea planes or amphibians (before anyone corrects me) but I reckon that with a little bit of practice these can probably be used to give a quite adequate turning capability on water.  I imagine the way to do it would be always to keep a degree of throttle on one engine while using the other to create the turn.

The reason I can't do it myself at the moment is I'm a bit busy with photography and watching The Open and Ashes, getting any time at all for the flying is a bonus! ;D

If anyone is interested.  The joystick is the new Saitek Cyborg X and I must say that if like me you're limited to one of these instead of a yoke, it is very, very good.

John  

Archived