Good graphic card to buy?

Vonduck

Chaps -now to spend the tax refund on something worthy (this is the story the family need to hear ...  ;) )

Have copied below the card i am thinking of ... within the budget ... have scoured the forum and am still a tad confused hence the question ...

In Aussie dollars this would be about $494.00 ... comments?

BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX280 PLUS FACTORY OC Brand new item

* Start price: $610.00

* No reserve No reserve

* Closes: Mon 20 Jul, 8:18 pm

* Listing #: 230004348

Starting bid:  $ Place Bid Auto-bid Auto-bid site help.

Buy Now:  $615.00

Buy Now

Photo

Photo 1 of

ViewView full size photo

Advertisement

BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX280 OC 1GB PCIe 2.0

Core Clock 630MHz (vs. 602MHz standard)

Memory Data Rate 2240MHz (vs. 2214MHz standard)

the BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC graphics card is overclocked to the highest stable level, saving you the risk and hassle of doing it yourself. the BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC graphics card gives your system the power of up to 240 multi-threaded processor cores, offloading the most intensive processing tasks from your CPU to your Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)

GAMING

Extremely Overclocked to unlock the full performance potential of the GeForce GTX 280 and provide the best-in-class gaming experience (compared to standard clocked models)

PureVideo HD technology provides the ultimate interactive Blu-ray DVD movie experience with full hardware acceleration of HD movies and picture-in-picture content

Performance

GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

Core Clock 630MHz (vs. 602MHz standard)

Shader Model 4.0

Texture Fill Rate 53.2 Billion/sec.

Processor Cores 240

Memory

Video Memory 1GB (1024MB)

Memory Type GDDR3

Memory Data Rate 2240MHz (vs. 2214MHz standard)

Memory Interface 512-bit

Memory Bandwidth 153.6GB/sec.

Connections

Bus Type PCI Express 2.0 (Backward compatible with PCI Express)

Display Connectors 2 Dual-Link DVI-I, HDTV + TV Out

RAMDACs Dual 400MHz

Multiple Monitor Support Yes

HDCP Capable Yes, Dual link (Requires other compatible components which are HDCP capable. Designed to meet the output protection management (HDCP) and security specifications of the Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats, allowing the playback of encrypted movie content on PCs when connected to HDCP-compliant displays)

HDMI Capable Yes

NVIDIA SLI Support Yes, 2-Way

I think you'll find that general concencus (recently) was that the 285GTX is the best bang for buck.

When I checked at the NVIDIA site recently, it certainly confirmed that.

I'm sure someone else will chime in here and confirm or deny that.

Frank

I have a water cooled BFG 8800 GTX and a water cooled EVGA 280 GTX. Both are excellent cards and clock MUCH higher than the factory overclock. If i would buy a GPU now it would be a BFG or EVGA 285. I tend slightly towards BFG but their 280 wasn't available the time i needed one.

Now i am waiting for the 300 series which will find a spot in my next main rig. Maybe end of the year (i wish).

Doug,

I looked on the distributor sites I buy from and that card doesn't even rate a mention anymore. I got a feeling it's been superceded.

I'm with Mango on this one, I'll probably wait for the 300 series before I retire my 9800GX2's,

Frank

Wow, that's one fine vid.

Boy, can that guy talk fast.

Sounds like all of the gains in the future will revolve around having the right power supply, right cables (especially that 7.1 dongle), quite apart from the card itself.

I gotta admit that if that card is reasonably priced, I'm gonna take a look at it myself.

Thanx for the info,

Frank

I just checked and I can get it for around $500 from my local distributor.

Having said that I just did the comparison at the NVIDIA site and apart from the 2Gb of memory, it doesn't stack up as good as my current card, so not much point paying 500 bucks for a card that has a slower processor core but more ram.

I'll hold off or the 300's. It pays to compare, though.

Frank

Archived