What happenned to all the airfields?

AussiePilot

So what, ive payed 30 bucks for software thats only given me some street lights and sat images? i thought i got airports etc as a whole pack. i could have saved 30 bucks and got a freeware airport. and what! i have to pay even more for Melbourne Airport!!!!!!

Aussie, before going further I'd like to make it clear that I don't work for Orbx and therefore have no interest in promoting FTX, other than as an enthusiastic Australian simmer.

Firstly, all of the GA airports will be released as freeware. That means that you don't have to pay a cent for them.  :)

1. Orbx has put thousands of hours into producing FTX, and as John Venema has written elsewhere, you get the product of their work for the price of a couple of family-sized pizzas. I reckon it's a great deal. On top of that, they are throwing in a heap of GA airports for free!

The GA airports could have been rushed out at the same time at the FTX payware release. However John and the team want to make sure that, even though they are free, they are of a quality that would justify payment. I reckon that's great commitment to service.

2. I haven't seen YMML, but I'm led to believe it will be brilliant. I have no problem if someone wants to produce a product and charge for it. It's how the world works. There are several companies making payware airports and, in doing a paware version of YMML, Orbx is doing no different.

So what, ive payed 30 bucks for software thats only given me some street lights and sat images? i thought i got airports etc as a whole pack. i could have saved 30 bucks and got a freeware airport. and what! i have to pay even more for Melbourne Airport!!!!!!

Andrew, i'm trying to be polite here, but I take it that you have not really seen nor understood the breadth of this development.

If you really believe that these are satellite images, I reckon that is some round about way you are paying Orbx a complement as there are no satellite images used.

I too have no formal allegiance with Orbx, but like may hundreds who visit this forum, I have a deep appreciation of the efforts put into this product.  I suggest you remove FTX, fly around the AU Oz Blue area in native FSX for a while and then re-install FTX to truely understand the difference made.  And while you're about it, get some decent hardware to drive the sim.  On the other hand maybe playing Solitare or Tetris on your computer is an option that you should consider.

I'm not even gonna be polite, Aussie you obviously are very new to all this to make those comments.

GET DECENT HARDWARE

FLY FSX WITHOUT FTX

THEN REINSTALL FTX

THEN FLY AROUND FOR (IT SHOULD ONLY TAKE 30 SEC )

THEN YOU'LL REALISE WHAT A COMPLETE A-HOLE YOU SOUND LIKE.

These guys have worked there buts of to give you the best darn add on since sliced bread, and your just not getting it.

I'm not even gonna be polite, Aussie you obviously are very new to all this to make those comments.

GET DECENT HARDWARE

FLY FSX WITHOUT FTX

THEN REINSTALL FTX

THEN FLY AROUND FOR (IT SHOULD ONLY TAKE 30 SEC )

THEN YOU'LL REALISE WHAT A COMPLETE A-HOLE YOU SOUND LIKE.

These guys have worked there buts of to give you the best darn add on since sliced bread, and your just not getting it.

+1

:)

Can i just say im a 3d modeler by career and understand what these guys have gone through to build FSX, but i don't understand why one airport should cost money when ive bought software specifically designed to upgrade the Victorian area.

Hi again Aussie,

I guess it comes down to a commercial decision for the developers.

Personally, I'd rather buy the products separately. I'd rather pay $25 US for FTX and then have the option of buying YMML separately, than paying more money up front for FTX with YMML bundled when I'm not going to use YMML all that often.

Hi loonylarry8 (aussiepilot)

Saw your other thread, too.  Your PC will struggle - unfortunate but FTX doesn't increase the load, so you should have known this already.

You "think" that?  There are hundreds of hours of landclass placement, there are thousands of hours of AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY sourcing, administration, editing and autogen annotation.  There's a great deal of money spent on licensing of this data.   There's all the time spent on object creation, texturing and re-texturing.   There are countless hours of deciphering the constantly-shifting Microsoft SDKs.

If you can't see $30 worth: it's either you, your PC, or a combo deal.

And as for the ........ strips.  I've personally created over 50 of them, bazzam has done at least 4 and there are sure to be a few others I know nothing of.  I've spent hundreds of hours on mine.  They're all (mine and bazzam's files, anyway) marked with initials so you can see who's done them.  I've also created or modified various objects to suit.  They will be free to all, whether you've bought FTX or not!  The only catch is that many of them are NOT AFCADed.  You will have to navigate to them... but there are docs/kmzs to help.  Maps would also be a good idea.  Most are quite cryptic.

I must say, your tone was shocking to me!  And the bit about Melbourne Airport!!??  You DON'T have to buy it!  It's in FSX default, anyway.  OrbX Melbourne is an addon for discerning customers who know what they want and appreciate quality and fidelity within the limits of a home PC Simulation.

At OrbX, they successfully run FTX on laptops for Convention Display purposes.  It is obviously, then, easy to run it well on a fairly recent mid-range desktop.  Don't expect to run with Autogen Extremely Dense or Bloom, except for screenies.  Core2Duos (overclocked helps) generally are preferable to AMD at this stage, 2gB+RAM works best, FSXSP2/Accn, XPSP3, any unnecessary services off, 512mB Vidcard.  If you have the right gear and are getting blurries - some fsx.cfg setting, vidcard setting or other scenery addon is at fault.

loopylarry8 (aussiepilot)

Can i just say im a 3d modeler by career and understand what these guys have gone through to build FSX, but i don't understand why one airport should cost money when ive bought software specifically designed to upgrade the Victorian area.

Well, I fly small GA and am not particularly interested in the larger Airports.  For me, the default will do.  I would rather pay for other things.  Blue Region would have to cost more if YMML was included.

You said you were a "professional" 3D modeller.  Does that mean you get paid?  Perhaps the modellers for YMML would like to be paid also.

You're saying you "want" YMML, but don't want to pay for it.  So, you don't want it very much?  Or is it that you just didn't follow what FTX was all about and have bought something you didn't want at all?

The forum (with screenshots) has been active for many months.  I believe it's given a good indication of what to expect.  My experience is very similar to the screenies, anyway.

As for the

This is not what i payed for!

post.  If those are your system specs, blame FSX for the lack of performance.  Either your PC is reaching the end of its simming life (most likely if it's 3+ years old) or "You got what you paid for" if it's less than 2 years old.  My (midrange 8-month-old) specs under sig ($3000 inc monitor).

Yea, I have an older P3.4ghz HT processor, but updated to a Nvidia 8800gts, 3 gb ram, Vista, and run fsx, ftx fine, and looks amazing, and lock FPS at 20, and its almost always maxed at 20, unless at the largest cities, or with very complex addon airplane.    My take on this is: I cant believe what I paid for! how could it be so cheap for the great work!  ;D

Aussiepilot, the website is quite clear on what you get and what you do not get, noone is being misled, you should have read a bit better that is all. GA Airports are not far away, patience is a virtue

where is the Moderators,have they gone home.

I think the above posts are a bit over the top and should be stopped.

Aussiepilot is entitled to have his say,whether,right or wrong?

Also there was another post by a German person about Canberra,who got the same type answer.

Not very good,people.

Maybe there should be a section for peoples concerns about FTX and add-ons and

only be addressed by the core DEV team.

Cheers....

JohnG.... 

Aussiepilot is entitled to have his say,whether,right or wrong?

Mmmmmmmmm, I see, so in your world AP is allowed to say whatever he likes, right or wrong, but we who have a differing opinion are not  ???

Something does not quite gell there...

It has been said in the main with greater restraint and much more civility than the OP IMHO...

For what it's worth.

$30 is nothing in comparison to add-ons available to the flightsim community.  You can pay double that just for some planes, check out the online stores and you will see for yourself.  As far as the payware add-on airports, I probably wont buy them as I dont spend most of my time there, I'd rather pay for quality scenery that I can easily recognise from the air, and allows me to check-out some of the regions I havent been to in years (in real life).  The freeware strips will be coming, and I'll get them, for the reason mentioned above.  But seriously, bitchin' about $30 for quality work, which will also be added to with service packs, I cant work it out.  I saw your PC specs on the other thread and If you were serious about simming with FSX and have checked out all the flight sim forums, you would know well that your system would be struggling with FSX, and moderately in FS9....not to say its okay with many other games out there, but flight-simming is very hardware intensive.  Even my p4 3G processor, with 1G ram, 256M Graphics has some issues with FSX that I put up with, but this will be addressed with a new system when finances allow.  I'm sure in time you will appreciate the product for what it is and will enjoy more once you get more into the flight sim 'zone', and understand the relationship between FSX, hardware, and add-ons.

The so-called bad comments are in fact are all good.

It means that Dev Team can look at the complant,fix it now,later or not at all.

I am sure JohnV and his Team will be expecting some bad comments.All good comments

are not good because it means that nobody is willing to say anything wrong about the product,

and that is not good.

Crytek have just patched their new game Crysis(just out), to the tune of 361mb because of post about things

wrong in the game.Good or Bad. ???

I agree and dis-agree with both sides.

Cheers....

JohnG....

Thread locked.

Everybody has made their points.

FACT:

FTX was never advertised as including airports. It quite clearly states that a freeware GA airfields package will be made available after the release of AU_Blue for users and non-users of our product. OrbX has never advertised that AU_Blue will include Melbourne Airport for free, this has always been promoted as a separate commercial package (the same for Brisbane and Sydney when their turn comes).

So what, ive payed 30 bucks for software thats only given me some street lights and sat images?

There are more appropriate ways of discussing items that you are dissatisfied with than slanging off at developers

Indeed this type of attitude will not be tolerated long. It causes passionate responses from other users. Be mindful that this forum is not a public forum, it is a private forum belonging to OrbX that has stated forum rules. Please make sure you follow these rules. I specifically refer to this paragraph -

While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

JohnG, you refer to another post about Canberra, the topic about the missing Murrumbidgee River would be the thread you are referring to if I am not mistaken. The attitudes and discussion in that thread are nothing like the inflammatory or insulting posts shown above by Aussiepilot.

where is the Moderators,have they gone home.

I have reviewed the other responses and find that under the circumstances they are reasonable responses. If you have issues you think moderators need to be made aware of then the appropriate response is to PM them with your comments.

Archived