Flexible screens for flight simming

Pete H

Reading this report on BBC News about LG's new "bendable" screens, many people in the comments section are questioning the use for such a device - in what practical application would you ever need a flexible screen?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35230043

Well, I can think of one straight away - for us flight simmers to create wrap-around displays! :)

Just imagine a massive widescreen flexible display, that you could wrap around some kind of supporting frame to create a true 180-degree screen. Or why not go even further - how about an entire sphere, the inside of which is lined with a flexible display, for a full 360-degree experience (although the screen would obviously not be able to stretch all the way to the top & bottom of the sphere, as it would "scrunch up"). I shudder to think what resolution that would require though - 32k, driven by 6x GTX 980Ti's? ;)

Anyway, I'd be interested to see others thoughts/opinions on this!

You've just given yourself a project for 2016. Let us know how you get on ;)

Joking aside, I'd be interested to see if what you suggest is possible but don't personally have the technical expertise to comment. Having a rig capable of driving it all would be one problem. I have seen good 180 degree setups with three projectors, but do bendable screens make projector technology inferior...?

Archived