SP2

lenniesmith

I don't know if this is the right place to post my question, but I really want SP2 so I can view all the features of FTX. I've tried at multiple places to find an answer so I'm really desperate. ??? I'll just post my Avsim message here:

Hi all,

I've just purchased FTX (Flight Terrain Extreme-YAY), but i've read that I need to install SP2 to see all functions. This is where my problem lies, as I can't install SP2 at all! A few months ago I gave it a go and installed it, but it just crashed my FSX. I uninstalled it and now tried it again, but I can't even run the installer without it crashing. It starts to install, then right after it validates and actually starts copying files (I think that's what it's doing), the installation rolls back my cached files and shuts down, finidhing with a message that the installation hasn't completed and should be run at another time. I've tried it multiple times, downloaded it about a dozen times and it still won't work. Please if somebody has any suggestions please help me, I'm really desperate (never thought I'd say that about SP2 LOL). I've summarised my symptoms bellow so you don't have to wade though my message again.

Tried to install SP2 last year, FSX crashes, uninstalled SP2.

Tried to reinstall in the last few weeks, and again today only to have the installation stop at after the validation stage and roll back.

No error message is given, so I've tried multiple times to re-download and reinstall with no results.

I'm using an ATI Raedon X1800 GTO if it helps

Any help at all will be great (I can't even seem to get any replies from Microsoft OR Avsim). So thanks,

Danny

So if I re-install FSX (this is the 6th time >:(), then all my addons will stay in their folders, but what if they alter a default file? Will they be deleted as well or will I have to reinstall them too? Also, do you think a repair may do the same thing? I'll probably reinstall it again sometime in the next few weeks if I have to reinstall EVERYTHING as it'll take too long (PMDG 747, many Shockwave A/C etc). Thanks for your help anyway bazzam and rob. I was dreading the news of another reinstall :'(.

Danny

There is an excellent SP2 installation tutorial created by David Roch over at AvSim...  Have a look at threads started by him, it will be one of the longest...  I really worked well for me.

Good luck.

I reinstalled everything Sunday night, and after a few hours (a massive understatement :P) I've finished. Quite surprising, no hiccups! I ran FSX (with FTX of course) and it works fantastically! Man, Australia never looked so good before! Thanks for everyones help in fixing my problem, and thanks to Orbx and John for producing such a wonderful product ;D. On a side note, I'm sorry that FTX is on warez sites already. It was was bound to happen, but it still doesn't make it right. Just a suggestion, but expanding on the idea of submitting an order ID for support, maybe if you could add the order ID thing to your profile, and if it's valid only then can you VIEW the support forums. I just think that if a problem is widespread enough then the people who downloaded a pirate version can just read other people's support posts and download the hotfixes. If you only have access to the support forum when your purchase is validated then it may stem the rate of illegal downloads? That's just a suggestion, so nevertheless I'm sorry your losing your hard earned money to petty pirates  >:(. Thanks again,

Danny

EDIT - I just realised to idea I had was already suggested :-[...Sorry, I'll read ALL of the posts next time  ;)

Archived