Problems wiith SP3

normandean

I received my SP3 disk, downloaded the registry fix and ran the installer and all went well. Opened the FTX Controller and selected Australia and ORBX trees and applied it. Started FSX and went for a flight in Queensland and immediately noticed that the OZx airfiels were missing. I checked the scenery cfg and the OZx entries were not there, so I made new entries. Flew again in Queensland and all the airfields were there and I had a very enjoyable couple of hours flying with some friends on line.

Used the FTX Control to change back to FSX default, and then applied so that I could fly in the other new scenery area I have just obtained, Tongaas Fiords X, and found the ocean full of trees. I therefore looked at the terrain.cfg file and found that it was the one for FTX in the FSX folder, not my previous default with the Tongaas entries. On looking in the ORBX Control folder I found my original terrain.cfg file in the backup folder, so it hadn't been changed back when the default FSX was slected.

So, when selecting the default FSX setting OZx airfields are removed from the scenery cfg file, and the FTX terrain cfg is not replaced by the default one. On selecting ORBX Australia OZx airfields are not reinstated in the scenery cfg file, but as the FTX terrain,cfg file is still in FSX I cannot say whether that is replaced or not. In view of this I am uncertain that any exchange of files has taken place between the sim and the backup since the initial application of the ORBX Control.

I am running Windows 7 at the moment and have UAC turned off, and had no problems prior to installing SP3.

I will look further into this, to see whether other items such as the ORBX trees are exchanged, but in the meantime would welcome your comments.

Norman

Further to my post above:

By swapping files and watching the effects I find that the autogen scenery, trees and buildings, is swapped with the default when the FTX Central is changed from default to Australia. However the OZx scenery is excluded even if I manually change the ORBX scenery.cfg file to include it. If I do change the cfg file the OZx scenery is seen in the sim when FSX is started immediately, but upon closing the program abd then rebooting it the OZx scenery disappears again.

If I produce a terrain.cfg file with both my original entries and the FTX entries in it then this remains in the FSX folder and is not substituted when the FTX Central is changed.

One thing that I have noticed is that in the ORBX folder there is a terrain.cfg that contains all the FTX entries, in the ORBX/scripts/FTX Central/InstallBackup folder there is a terrain.cfg which contains my original entries but in the ORBX/scripts/back up folder there is not a terrian.cfg file at all. I also find that there are four scenery.cfg files that relate to FTX in the programs data/microsoft/fsx folder.

Norman

Guest Tapey

Hi Norman,

On the terrain.cfg.

Make a backup copy of the \FSX\terrain.cfg

Copy your original terrain.cfg, the one with tongrass entries, into the FSX folder.

Run FTXCentral.

Now checkout your \FSX\terrain.cfg. It should have both the Tongrass and FTX entries in it.

FTXCentral will test the terrain.cfg every time it runs for the FTX entries and update them if needed. It will leave all other entries intact.

Terrain.cfg entries are considered neutral in that Tongrass only uses Tongrass entries, and FTX only uses FTX entries so they can all live together in the one file. This means there is no need to change the terrain.cfg every time FTXCentral changes a region. The entries should already be in the file.

The OZx scenery.cfg

Things to check

If the "Australia" region is applied you should have a \Orbx\Scripts\scenerylib_!OZx.cfg file

If the "Default FSX" region is applied you should have a \Orbx\Scripts\liboff_Aussie.cfg file

If you open it in notepad it should look like

[Area.XXX]

Title=OZx_AUS

Local=OZx\OZx_AUS

Layer=XXX

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Note the "Local" entry. This is the folder path from FSX -- The OZx files should be in \FSX\OZx\OZx_AUS

If that path is not found then OZx will not be added.

If OZx is in a different path then change the "Local" entry to the correct path.

Check OZx Norman and let me know what you have.

Ron

I have looked at the ORBX scripts entries and on running the Central it did change the entries for OZx as it should have done. However, I then found that on my system OZx_AUS is a separate entry to OZx in the FSX folder. On placing the OZx_AUS folder within the OZx folder the Central then worked as it should and OZx_AUS appeared in my scenery cfg. I don't know why OZx_AUS should have been separate; it has been like this since V2.2, but I also have OZx_WORLD and OZx_ PLUS with separate folders, is this likely to cause problems when the future ORBX sceneries become available?

Although I had made a combined FTX and Default terrain.cfg file I replaced it with my original file, saved before installing SP3. On running the Central the cfg file was converted to an AIO with both Tongaas Fjords and FTX in the one file. I think that the problem there may have been caused because there were already some FTX entries in the default terrain.cfg file. I cleared those out before trying again.

So its prolem solved, and than you very much for your help.

Norman

Just done a check with several of my on line flying friends and they all have two OZx_AUS folders, one in OZx which contains all the airfields and one self standing that contains the ai ships. Can't think how I came to have only one.

Nrman

Archived