NSTU : Q for an airliner pilot (or wanabees :) )

dominique

The NSTU package is quite versatile. Beautiful landscapes but the situation of the airports also makes it an excellent training ground. They are far enough from each other to allow a meaningful climb but the flight is short so the takeoff and landing procedures are almost consecutive (with a deep breath between both :) ). There are long and short runways . The airport themselves are somehow constrained by the relief. A good mix to learn a new aircraft. This is what I do with a 737-200 that I let sleep in my hangar for months.

So the question now about an ILS approach of NSTU RW05 coming from NSFA with an aircraft without GPS/RNAV capabilities, just NAV. 

NSTU ILS5 IAF is SETTS (in a blue circle on both maps).  

nstu.jpg

Three solutions : 

- Fly the green route out of NSFA VOR to NSTU VOR, head back 13 nm to a procedure turn to catch the LOC/GS .  This is what I do but it burns a lot more fuel.

- Fly the yellow route out of NSFA VOR turning in a makeshift DME arc at  the last waypoint to SETTS and then on to the ILS aproach.  Looks like a good compromise but crossing two official routes. 

- Fly the red route, straight to SETTS out of NSFA VOR and catch the ILS.. Economical but out of the normal prescribed routes.

I wonder what a pro pilot would do.

Archived