A Mission

Nick

Ladies and Gentelman and FS Fans alike

I have decided that a good idea for us to view FTX to it's fullest, it would be best to fly a large route through some of it's best scenery

The Plan is to fly several legs of a lengthy flight starting out at tamworth and hopefully ending up somewhere near cradle mountain in Tassie.

The total distance of the flight will be 800 miles according to google earth. Each of the legs will be flown on the OrbX FShost server

in FSX and of course with all the goodness of FTX.

Everybody is welcome to join us on the way.

However with my significant lack of knowledge of the area i am keen for some suggestions as to pitstops we can make on the way, Beer Fuel etc.

After the completion of each leg screenies will be posted

those interested post with suggestions.

Nick

ps. i am keen on passing through some of victoria on the way round as i hear it is the shizz

Good points of interest are

- Sydney / Kingsford-Smith

- Canberra

- Cooma

- Mt Hotham (highest airfield in Aus, I believe)

- Merimbula

- Albury

- anything near Melbourne (Essendon, Moorabbin, etc)

- Flinders Island

- Launceston

to name a few

How about these?

-Tamworth

-Scone

-Singleton

-Over Dangar Island on the Hawkesbury

-Bankstown

-Temora to see the Spits

-Canberra

-Mount Hotham

-Down to Wilsons Prom for the crossing to-

-Flinders Island

-Saint Helens

-Launceston

-Hobart

A long way to travel but some great sights along the way with lots of varied scenery.. I particularly like the crossing from Wilsons Prom to Flinders via the Hogans group-you`ve never shat yourself properly until you`ve done it @ 500ft with no VHF coverage skimming under overcast! (real life I mean!)  :o

I am sure more people will submit some suggestions in due course. I will be reinstalling all of my FSX from my current OS to my new Vista Ultimate 64 bit OS over the next week or so, once it's all up and running I will be venturing onto the FTX server.

I've seen people with route overlays drawn onto Google Earth maps but I am not sure how to do it myself-can anyone help?

is there any way to draw this on google earth at all

I've seen people with route overlays drawn onto Google Earth maps but I am not sure how to do it myself-can anyone help?

like this?

Posted Image

I use FS Earth which is the thingy that connects FSX and Google Earth together (also available for FS2004).  Each version (FSX or FS2004) is about $21 Australian (about $19.95 US).  If you want to use FS Earth for both sims you have to purchase FS Earth for FSX and FS Earth for FS2004.

It takes a little setting up but is easy, it just requires patience.  If your computer isn't the type that has to be bolted down to the desk, there is a slight performance hit (but that really depends how you set the options).  To get a successful installation you have to RTFM  ::)

If you don't you wont have a computer that works (hammers or throwing them on the floor makes a real mess) or any hair left either  ;D

For anyone who gets FS Earth for FSX, when installing it looks for your FS2004 location by default.  If you have both fs2004 and FSX installed, you can install to the default location which is selected for you automatically, setup.exe will ensure that everything goes in the right place for FSX.  If you don't have FS2004 installed, you can manually navigate to C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X and it will install OK.

You can use FS Earth on a single computer or network/dual computer

Works on Win XP and Vista

FS Earth  http://www.wideview.it/fsearth/

FSXGET is free.  I use it for sccenery design but it works for naviagation, too.

You may want to wait for the GA Freeware pack - it includes Cradle Mtn Strip among others.

Thanks Mark, another program for others to try and consider.

I downloaded FSXGET and tested it on my modest FS computer setup. 

The program is very similar to FS Earth, it does lack a bit BUT keep in mind that FSXGET is beta with development still continuing. 

Current features

Display user aircraft position (incl. details like altitude, speed, ...)

Show AI planes, helicopters and boats

Show user aircraft flight path

Display course and ETA predictions for user as well as AI aircrafts

Show object images and ATC information

Run FSXGET and Google Earth on different computers

Customize server port and access (e.g. localhost only, ...)

Cusotmize Google Earth refresh rates

Automatic FSX startup detection

Quick access by means of an icon in the system tray

Upcoming Features

Logging of flights for later view in Google Earth

Automatic online update

Show flight plans in Google Earth

Automatically adjust viewing position and angles in Google Earth

Performance hit is about the same as with FS Earth (if not a little better) however once everything is implemented in FSXGET performance hit will probably be on par with FS Earth.

FSXGET is only for FSX and no mention (that I could see) on the developers website is made of a version for FS2004.

FSXGET has a bright future and once the upcoming features are made available it will be right on par with FS Earth.  With luck it will remain 'freeware' once released as a full and complete version.

Posted Image

FSXGET http://www.codeplex.com/fsxget

Archived