KSTS Is a Mighty Fine Airport For 737NGX

ALF

I mostly fly the airliner, so I had a hard time deciding whether to buy this airport. I ended up buying it, and it has exceeded my expectations in every way. It is so fine.....I am doing flights with the NGX from KSEA and KLAX, just like ASA does in the DH, but the airport does just fine for the 737. You can also fly from to KMFR, which in itself with NCA is a beautiful airport and surroundings. Doing the RNAV RWY 14 approach into KSTS, you will be treated with some of the very best scenery shots of NCA Gold country. It is ever so realistic. On the actual landing itself, you will be challenged by the 6,000 ft. runway and a Vref of about 135 KIAS with flaps 40, and the slight right turn into very short final. Forget the approach if there is any tailwind. There is no traffic, so you can choose which runway to use and winds calm. The airport has no problems at all with NCA and the NGX demanding 800,000K of VAS. If you have Flightbeam's KSFOHD, you might want to disable it in your scenery library though it is so far away that I don't think it is a problem.

Another favorite from ORBX and the NGX is of course PAJN, Russ White has also done a marvelous job at it. But that is another story.

PSA, United, and a few others used to fly BAE146s, DC9s, 727s, and 737s into Arcata KACV many years ago.  Arcata's airport is a little smaller than Santa Rosa.  Currently Arcata is served by Skywest CRJ.  Santa Rosa can certainly handle those type of aircraft.

Cheers

TJ

Going to pick up NCA and this airport before Xmas.  Will certainly be flying the NGX into to it a lot and using it as a base for some shorter Comanche flights to see the scenery a bit closer up.  I love a challenging airport and a 6000ft strip is perfect to keep you on on the ball.  How is the weather there during winter, does it get foggy or is that just the coastal area.  Not much wind I guess but comes out the west mostly?

I don't need to do realistic routes so will fly from PAKT and KJAC to start with and eventually PAJN when I get around to buying SAL.

Not sure if KSTS gets fogged in. I have flown into it only a few times using ASN real weather and still nothing but VMC. Like I say, if you buy NCA you can hop from KMRY (20 min in the NGX FL190) or KSTL (have yet to purchase and try). You can also fly 40 min to KMFR and do the RNAV approaches there, the airport is mighty nice and included in NCA. You might not want to wait until Christmas. To entice you,  here is a night shot into 14 with no zoom, I am holding short 14 with the NGX.

KSTAAPP0ba1c.jpg

Archived