Interesting Harddisk Comparison

I am in the process of rebuilding my PC (I know - yet again), this time with a motherboard RAID-0 implementation of two WD Velociraptor 150GB drives. Previously I was using a single SAMSUNG Spinpoint 320GB drive. I have a seperate data drive (D:) that is common to both implementations but that is not important for this discussion...

I had noticed a difference in speed with Windows boot-up and FSX loading times - not startling but definately an improvement; so I thought I would run a HD Tune check of each systems speed to see how they perform. The screenshots show a pretty impressive difference.

The system was identical apart from the harddrives. Windows 7 RC 7100 on a GIGABYTE EP45T-UD3LR with intel QX9650 OC3.6ghz and 4GB DDR-III. Video is nvidia 9800GTX+ (although this obviously doesn't matter for harddrive performance).

Posted Image

Posted Image

It would be interesting to stick an SSD into my system to compare - maybe when they get a bit cheaper :)

Very nice Barry I was just using the same program a  few days ago and I was curious to see what the Velociraptor would do and judging from your scores its mightly impressive compared to the mainstream drives. Looks like those Velociraptors will be on purchase list very soon.

Barry - I agree .. the Velociraptors are a great combo .. and Load times are quite a bit faster.

I don't think you'll have problems with the MotherBoard in this setting.

With regard to SSDs - they have become QUITE a bit cheaper since I bought mine  >:(

OCZ have a 250GB model - that would probably be quick enough as a standalone - if the quoted specs are anywhere near accurate (250Mb/s BURST, 200MB/s sustained) about AU$700

The velociraptor combo still gives the best size vs cost ratio though.

EDIT:

This is what my current SSD Raid0 does

Posted Image

The SSD RAID combo is the OS/System drive ... due to the low latency (Seek)

FSX resides on two Velociraptors - higher burst and continues read .. and cheaper for size.

The Dev files are just about to move onto a 1Tb Spinpoint.

The new OCZ drive would outperform mine quite easily I suspect.

Archived