Now I know how a Teabag feels...

Bandit

Who said volunteering isnt rewarding?

Not content with aerial observing and navigation as part of the NSW SES Aviation support group we have recently undergone winch operations training. Aim of which was to safely winch in and out of a BK-117.

Now do I really want to do this...?

Posted Image

Last chance to chicken out...

Posted Image

Too late...

Posted Image

On the deck!

Posted Image

For a bonus point anyone able identify the location?

Well at least it isnt all bad. This is the ride they sent to pick us up from YPMQ last operation...

Posted Image

Posted Image

My tea bags get a little squeeze after a dunk.  Did you get your squeeze that day ?                                                      ::)

Frankly I'm disappointed this is the only innuendo in the thread, given the title ;D

What was your winching height bandit?

Training height is 30ft - 50ft. The winch on this helicopter can run for over 200ft. In reality it doesnt make that much difference to the experience (besides, a fall from 50ft can kill just as well as 200ft!). Though the higher the winch the more time on the wire and the more chance to get ito a spin. A bad spin can knock you unconscious so you get taught how to counter spins.

did they take you for a run around first before they threw you out?

In fact we have been working in and out of these aircraft (BK-117, Bell Jet Ranger, Huey, Squirrels) for the past two weeks doing actual flood support missions as this is our primary role (resupply, food surveilence, and the odd patient transport or two). The reason we are doing winch training is so we can get to people cut off by flood waters where a boat cant get to easily and the helio can't land. As for flying during the winch the training we did the first winch from a static hover. The rest were part of the circuit to the drop point. this gets get you familiar with cabin management procedures and interactions with the crew (pilot and winch operator). With 4 people being winched out at a time you have to manage weight movement in the cabin in the hover as well as ensuring each pax is always secured to one safety point at any one time during the process.

Mate, that must have been awesome! :D

It was!!

Coffs Harbor maybe?

Give that man a cigar!

Archived