FTX SP3 on a separate partition from FSX?

hendrik

I have partitioned my HD and installed Win 7 and FSX on the same partition (the other has WinXP and I have a dual boot system).

Ecstatic re FSX performance under Win 7, so tried to expand the partition to make space for more FSX addons (including FTX).

Disaster! Resizing (Paragon Partition manager) went belly up and I eventualy  got everything back (including the WinXP partition) by reinstalling Win 7/FSX.

Now very reluctant to try resizing again, so I'm stuck with a Win 7 partition with 30Gb left and a WinXP partition with 160Gb left.

I would really like to install FTX SP3 on the WinXP partition (D drive under Win 7).

I think I recall reading that the Orbx folder needs to be in the main FSX folder or things get messed up. Will this be the case for FTX SP3?

Advice much appreciated - I'm holding off re-installing FTX until my SP3 DVD arrives - not sure I can wait that long though, even if it only a couple of weeks!

you know you can resize partitions in win7 /vista without using a third party?

Hi Skypilot

Yes I was aware of that, but after an automatic Win 7 update Windows has insisted on running CHKDSK at every boot. I've let it run, (and it corrects a lot of errors in session 1) but it hangs on (I think) session 2. This makes me think I may still have disk/file errors from the aborted resize, and that they may cause a new resize (whatever method I use) to fail.

Hope this make sense!

Hendrik,

shortest way is to delete W7 and resize the partitions via XP addon like Partition Magic or others that are out there, create a partition for W7 and for fsX, then re-install W7 on fresh partition and keep the other partition solely for fsX, saves heaps of problems and also keeps you systemfiles overseable ;)

Hendrik,

shortest way is to delete W7 and resize the partitions via XP addon like Partition Magic or others that are out there, create a partition for W7 and foe fsX, then re-install W7 on fresh partition and keep the other partition solely for fsX, saves heaps of problems and also keeps you systemfiles overseable ;)

Thanks Wolter. So you suggest installing FSX on a partition separate from the operating system? This would still involve a lot of uninstalling/re-installing (again!) and more partitioning/resizing which got me into this mess in the first place!

Can you confirm that the SP3 DVD MUST be installed into the main FSX directory?

[snip!]

Yes.   Mode switcher and FTX control panels will not work, patches will not install correctly, etc.

Have a look at this thread for more info which also might have a solution.

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=7925.0

Cheers,

Matt.

[snip!]

Yes.   Mode switcher and FTX control panels will not work, patches will not install correctly, etc.

Have a look at this thread for more info which also might have a solution.

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=7925.0

Cheers,

Matt.

Thanks Matt -migrating FSX to the D drive may be my best option...........

Archived