AlacrityPC - The new FSAutoStart

mstyles

Ken Salter of FSAutoStart fame has released a new freeware product called AlacrityPC.  It's a new improved version of FSAutostart.

Here's a quote from the website

"AlacrityPC allows you to get the most from your Windows PC by shutting down unnecessary services and programs before you run a resource intensive application like a game. When you finish, AlacrityPC will automatically restart the programs and services, returning your PC back to its original state. AlacrityPC can also perform additional optimizations like Defragmentation of memory"

You can find it here http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

Very handy!

I have said it before and I will say it again ,  there is NO substitute for learning what processes are and do what rather than let automated starting programs do it .

Many Many People I have done remote administration for recently had their PC running with more that 60 Processes , many are dormant BUT they can have an effect on how well your sim works due to random running.

I have seen systems bogged down with BHO  Browser Helper Optimiser's and other usless rubbish that supposedly helps in speedy searching and operation of the PC. ( Mozz's Tip:-  Wanna find something  simply type what your looking for in the address line of IE or Fire Fox - You will be surprised)

One fellow was moaning about his very slow performance and after I went through settings, which I found were reasonable given his system P4 2.4Ghz with 512 Mb RAM  I did suggest he get another stick which he did and this coupled with another MAJOR error (he had FS9 installed on a USB External Drive)

Terminating un-necessary Processes and repositioning the Program his Simulation went from a 3 FSP Slide Show and unplayable to 15-20 FPS and very flyable.

So The moral of the story " Make sure your system is in top operating condition for the Hardware you have  BEFORE even thinking of employing software solutions of things like FS Auto Start " ( They DO NOT restart thing in many cases )

So The moral of the story " Make sure your system is in top operating condition for the Hardware you have  BEFORE even thinking of employing software solutions of things like FS Auto Start " ( They DO NOT restart thing in many cases )

Yes good advice.  Those people that know what the services do will find AlacrityPC (the new FSAutostart written by the same author) very useful.  The user has complete control over which processes to kill/restart, and can save the configuration as a profile for quick reuse. Very handy!

Archived